Chapter 44

I took a seat on the couch as Dr Tony and his family were preparing themselves for dinner. It felt so awkward and bizarre to sit alone while doing nothing at strangers's house. I wanted to help them initially but they said I should get some rest.

"I'm sorry if you felt awkward or uncomfortable, because my mom really doesn't want to trouble you," Zack said.

I nodded. "Where is Dr Steele?" I asked.

"He is taking a shower. Later, when we have dinner, you will know my mom and my sister more. Sorry, my mom cannot even meet you now because she is sort of excited when there is a guest coming to our house," he explained.

I smiled at him. "I see," I said.

"So, where do you live?" He asked.

"I lived at Albany Park," I answered.

"Zack, Miss Winter, come join us," Dr Steele called us.

Zack walked me to the dining room. It was so elegant and beautiful. A lot of scrumptious meals were made and served on the table. Zack pulled a chair out of the table for me to sit and when I have took my seat, he sat beside me.

"Miss Winter," Dr Steele called me.

"Yes?" I looked at him.

"This is my wife, Meredith Steele," Dr Tony introduced a lady who was wearing a stripe shirt.

"So you are Miss Winter," she said.

"Um... just call me Katie," I said.

"Okay. Hi, Katie. I'm Meredith Steele," she greeted me by smiling and put out his hand. I held her hand and shook it.

"I'm Katherine Winter, you can call me Katie," I smiled as I let go of her hand.

And then, a young lady came and took a seat harshly beside Meredith.

"That young girl is Abby, my daughter. She is 15 years old. Abby, introduce yourself," Dr Steele requested.

"No, I don't want," she refused immediately.

"Abby..." Zack demanded.

"This is not a school or something, just fucking eat!" She said as she poured the gravy into her bowl.

"Abby!" Meredith said. "Just please have some manner and respect. She is our guest!"

"No, it's fine," I cut her off.

Abby looked furious as she set my eyes on me. And then, she put her utensils harshly on the table while clenching her teeth.

"Abby," Abby introduced herself and looked at me wrathfully.

I smiled at her. "Katie," I replied. I glanced at Zack and Dr Tony and both of them were smiling at me, perhaps trying to comfort me. Then, all of us are enjoying our meals delightfully.

"So, Katie. How old are you?" Meredith asked.

"18 years old," I answered.

"Oh, really? Zack is 19 years old. He is currently pursuing his study in New York University," Dr Steele said.

"Really? I am planning to go to NYU for journalism. What are you taking there?" I asked Zack.

"Bachelor of Business and Economics. I am on my semester break now," he replied.

I nodded. "You just finished with high school?" Meredith asked.

"Yes, a month ago," I answered.

"As if you care," Abby interfered.

"Abby, please," Zack said.