Chapter 1

Tammy Sue rolled over and hit the snooze button on her alarm. Another boring day at The Happy Tomato, an Italian Restaurant where Tammy works as a waitress. Tammy is sick of her boring life with her boring boyfriend, Tom, whom she has been dating practically since birth. Okay, it's only been since high school. Tammy Sue has known Tom since they were babies playing in the sandbox. Their families have been friends since before Tammy Sue and Tom were born.

The only real joy Tammy Sue gets is when she listens to her all-time favorite, Elvis Presley. She just melts when she hears his voice. Her favorite songs are "Can't Help Falling In Love", "In the Ghetto", and "Kentucky Rain."

Tammy Sue switched on the radio and the DJ has just announced an Elvis-Free-For-All. Tammy Sue is delighted that the station will play only Elvis songs for the day. The DJ puts on "Kentucky Rain" and Tammy Sue sings along as she knows the words by heart.

After the song is over, the DJ comes on with a shocking announcement: "I know there are many of you Elvis Presley fans out there. So I have great news from Elvis' manager. He has just informed the radio station that there will be a contest for a backup singer to sing in Elvis band. Come down to the station today if you wish to enter the contest. The winner will get an all-expense paid trip to Graceland." Don't miss this one chance to sing with your biggest heartthrob."

Tammy Sue can't believe it. She calls in to work to say she won't make it. She has decided to enter the contest just for fun. She knows she can't sing, despite what everyone tells her. She just wants to do this for fun.

After calling her manager to tell them she won't be in, Tammy Sue hops in her '57 Cadillac, a gift from her uncle, because of her love for Elvis, and drives down to the radio station.