Chapter 2

Tammy Sue nearly fainted when Col. Parker opened the door to the recording booth to find Elvis crooning Tammy Sue's favorite song, “Can't Help Falling in Love.” Before she could fall to the floor, Elvis jumped up and scooped Tammy Sue up in his arms and gently laid her on the sofa until she came to.

A few minutes later, Tammy Sue opened her eyes and thought she must have died and went to heaven.

“Is this heaven?” Tammy Sue asked, groggily. “Am I dead?”

“No, beautiful.” Elvis said, gently rubbing her head with the moist cloth. “You fainted and I laid you on the sofa before you could fall.”

“Oh my gosh!” Tammy Sue said, embarrassed. “I feel like such a fool, fainting in front of Elvis Presley!”

Elvis just smiled and looked down at Tammy Sue, lovingly, gently caressing her shoulders.

“Well, we should get started.” Elvis said, trying to deny his sudden attraction to Tammy Sue.

“Yeah, sure. What do you want me to do, Mr. Presley?”

“Please, call me Elvis.”

“Yes, Mr. -er Elvis.”

“I'm going to sing “That's All Right” first and I want you to just listen. Then you and I will sing it together. And after that, I want to hear you sing it alone.” Elvis instructed.

“Yes, Elvis.” Tammy Sue agreed.

“That's all right, Mamma. . .” Elvis crooned, while Tammy Sue listened to the words.

When Elvis finished the song, Elvis and Tammy Sue sang the song together, as Tammy Sue got a feel for the lyrics.

Elvis was getting ready to sit down and let Tammy Sue sing the song solo, when the angry mob outside the radio station began throwing rocks at the window to the room that someone had saw Elvis and Tammy Sue sitting in.

Before Elvis to get Tammy Sue out of harm's way, a rock had hit Tammy Sue in the head and knocked her unconscious. As Elvis tried to frantically revive Tammy Sue, he called the paramedics to have Tammy Sue looked at since she wasn't responding.

Feeling responsible for Tammy Sue's injuries, Elvis rode with Tammy Sue in the ambulance to the hospital and waited there for doctors to find out Tammy Sue's prognosis.