Chapter 5: Here

Melissa's POV:

"Justin!!," I scream.

I watch him as he's wheeled away in a stretcher, his body still, his eyes shut.

I look at my shirt and realize there's blood on it from Justin's gushing gash, and it makes my breathing harden.

I collapse to the ground, seeing him in a pure state of unconciousness, soon close to death.

He's on his way to the ER.

My heart aches at the thought of him not by my side.

* Flashback *

I sit in the back seat with Justin as I bury my face into his chest, his chin resting on the top of my head.

"Don't worry babe. It's gonna be fine."

"Justin, I'm scared," I whimper.

He kisses the top of my head, squeezing me tight.

"Don't be babe. I'm not gonna let anything happen to you."

"Connor, what if this is another set up? What if we all don't make it?," Valerie asks from the passenger seat, her voice shaky.

"Don't worry babe. We got this under control," Connor assures while driving.

"Oh really? Then, why the fuck was Aaron's body in front of our doors this morning?"

"Val-"

"No Connor. This is fuckin' insane. I love you, but I don't wanna feel scared out of my mind all the time," she explains.

"But, Valerie. I love you. I'm not gonna let anything happen to you like I did to my last girlfriend."

"What happened to your last girlfriend?," she asks him.

I look up at Justin and we have the same facial expression, waiting for Connor's answer.

"Val, listen to me carefully babe. This gang thing is some real deep shit. To hurt a gang member in the best way is to hurt someone important to them. So, ummm..."

He stops and hesitates to continue, and I know it's hard for him to talk about.

"Babe, I'm so sorry. I didn't kn-"

"No Val. It's fine. I just care about you too much. Justin and I promise you and Melissa both that we'll keep you safe. We love you guys."

I smile a small smile at his words, making me feel slightly better.

Justin kisses my temple.

"I love you baby girl," he mumbles against my temple.

"I love you more," I mumble into his chest.

I look at Valerie and Connor and see their hands intertwined, while Connor drives with one hand on the wheel.

We pull up to the headquarters and my breathing gets harder, my heart beating fast.

Connor parks the car and we all get out, looking at the headquarters. Justin holds my hand tight.

"Okay Melissa. Remember, stay where I can see you. The Falcons are clever babe."

Connor turns to Valerie.

"Same with you Val. I don't want anything to happen to you," he stresses to her.