mako | a new life

summary - that time you & mako dream about a life away from the conflict
warnings - none just my terrible writing <3

"you should be asleep."

you turned towards the voice to see mako step out of the shadow towards you, a tired smile on his face.

you took his hand and brought him close, your arms circling his waist. "i just have a lot on my mind," you said.

mako hummed in response as his eyes stayed trained on the view of republic city. his hands warmed up your back, his fingers rubbing small circles.

the two of you remained in a calm silence, the noise present being the distant echoes of the city below.

"do you ever wish you could leave this place?"

your hypothetical question entered the cold air and mako's ears as he remained silent.

you continued, "i want to travel, maybe settle down somewhere else with the person i love. somewhere far away from this potential war and conflict.."

your rambling stopped when mako's movements stopped. nervous, you looked up at him placing a cold hand on his face.

"mako?"

his eyes remained on the city and his mouth remained closed.

"mako-"

"you want to run away with me?" he asked quietly. he placed his larger hand over yours and looked you in the eye.

you averted his strong gaze, nodding.

"we could leave right now and create a new life in the earth kingdom. you could change your name to lee and sell tea to support our life," you joked earning a small laugh from the fire bender.

"sounds good," he mumbled. "sucks i can't make tea though."

"how pathetic," you giggled.

this moment was the calm in the midst of a brewing storm, that peeking light at the end of a dark tunnel. mako could practically feel the peace emitting from your body, the feeling of you in his arms relaxing him too.

he guided you to the large futon in the corner and laid down beside you, arms still secure around your body.

"we could get married," you yawned. "imagine that? marriage."

he kissed your forehead as he too began to yawn. "ask me again when this is all over and i promise you we'll start on that new life, yeah?"

the only response mako was received were your quiet snores as he too drifted off into a calm sleep.