Chapter 1

Gianni Massimo Petrillo, V stood in front of his floor length mirror and sighed. It was 8 o'clock in the morning and he was running late, but he couldn't help but stand there staring at his reflection.

Gianni eyed his newly chopped hair that was shorter than he wanted. His beard was recently trimmed after the constant scolding from his mother. His blue eyes shone brighter today thanks to the blue button down he wore underneath the dark gray suit. He had a day jampacked with meetings and couldn't afford to stand there gawking at himself.

And yet he stayed staring at the man he couldn't believe but obviously knew he'd become. He sighed once more and said the same thing he told his reflection every day since he turned 16 before walking out of his lavish room. "I don't want to be you anymore."

It took a few moments for Gianni to make it out of his wing of the mansion, but once he found himself in the main kitchen area he was greeted by his parents and youngest brother. Despite growing up in the mansion for most of his life, Gianni was still surprised with just how large it was.

He and his younger brother had their own wing, while his parents and youngest brother shared the center wing. They had multiple pools, both indoor and outdoor, with a basketball court and baseball area. There were various gyms, as well as, theatre rooms, ballrooms, and a bowling alley.

The number of acres of land owned by the Petrillo household was outrageous, as there were living quarters for extended family, the house staff, as well as the custodial staff that needed a place to stay. There was also a large house for the numerous bodyguards and men employed by the Petrillo family.

You may be asking yourself, what could the Petrillo family possibly do professionally that would allow them to amass such wealth? The Petrillo name was synonymous with power throughout the world. Way before the mafia was a thing, the Petrillo family had their hands in everything to ensure that one day they would be among the most power families.

They were a family of survivors and fighters with men and women that were smart, savvy and efficient. The Petrillo men were raised a certain way. Gianni Massimo Petrillo, II likened the way he was raised to that of Sparta. At the age of 16, every Petrillo male child was immediately thrust into "the life" and began learning lessons to ensure the family name remained at the top.

Every Petrillo male had their first kill at age 16. They had to get used to death and killing, which is why on their 16th birthdays the men of the Petrillo family would accompany their fathers and uncles to a job and do what was required of them. Gianni hated how easy the killing came to him.

The guilt and shame would burrow under his skin every time afterwards, but it didn't stop him from doing it. He was the heir to the throne and didn't have the luxury like his younger brothers to take a step back. He couldn't let himself succumb to the negative emotions and thoughts that called him a monster. He already knew who and what he was. He instead perfected his skill and natural talent of torturing and killing.

"Gianni, are you okay?" His mother asked looking at him with concern. Gianni hadn't realized he was daydreaming this entire time. "I'm fine, Ma. Just thinking about all of my meetings I have today." She smiled at him and motioned for him to have a seat by her for breakfast.

"He doesn't have time for that, Ana." Massimo, Gianni's father interjected. "He's got to meet Giovanni and Pietro at the club." Gianni nodded as he began to turn to leave. "Make today the best day, brother." Gianni looked at his youngest brother and smiled.

Giorgio Gabriel Petrillo was the baby of the family, but he never acted like it. Gianni and his younger brother Giovanni would joke that Giorgio was an 80-year-old wise man trapped in a now 21-year-old man's body. He was so calm, even as an infant, and didn't seem to fit the expected Petrillo mold.