Chapter 36

"For the safety of your baby I need you to remain here, but I will remove the catheter so you can move around in this wing." At the mention of her daughter, Ava relented.

Ava shakily stood on her two feet. She had bright pink socks on that matched the white and pink hospital gown. Her hair was in a top knot bun and she knew she had Cara Mia to thank for that.

She smiled as she thought of her friends and walked down the hallways of the not so makeshift hospital. The fact that they were with the guys meant they forgave them. They had somehow come to terms with the fact that the men they loved had killed all of those men in the warehouse. I can't un-see that. Ava thought as she stood in front of a painting.

"They were trying to save us," she whispered to herself. She began her trek back to her room after 10 minutes when she heard yelling. "Where is she?!" Luca hollered. "She'll be back, Luca. She needed to get away." Ava heard Daniela say. "She shouldn't be walking around. She's pregnant!"

Ava shook her head as she got closer with her IV. "She knows, she's my doctor." Ava said with a sigh. Luca just then noticed her presence. He hadn't been so happy to see someone in his life. "Ava..." he breathed out. She wanted to smile at him. She wanted to go to him, but her feet wouldn't move. Her heart and brain were not on the same page.

She walked into her room making sure not to touch anyone. Dr. Daniela helped her get into bed and covered her up. "How are you feeling?" She asked her earning a smile. "I feel okay. I just needed to move around." Dr. Daniela moved a tray in front of her that held a sandwich, chips and fruit cup. "Make sure you eat all of it." Dr. Daniela instructed before leaving.

Luca sat in the chair next to her just looking at her. She couldn't make eye contact with him, so she bit into her sandwich. "AVA!!!" Rachelle screamed rushing in. Ava raised up her hands to stop her as she chewed. "I'm still very sore from getting shot, Rach. No pouncing." They chuckled.

Cara Mia came barreling in while pulling Gianni. "My baby!" Ava rolled her eyes at Cara Mia's pet name. "I'm only six months younger than you, Cara." The girls laughed happy to see their friend awake. "Well my baby is having a baby!" Cara Mia announced causing Ava to take a sharp intake of breath.

"Girl we are going to practically live in Target and Carter's." Rachelle laughed. Gianni noticed Ava's closed off demeanor and Luca's expression and took the initiative. "We should leave these two alone and head back to our rooms. I'm sure Ava needs rest." Gianni said with Pietro agreeing.

Before the girls could protest they were swept up into the arms of their respective men and waltzed out. Luca and Ava sat in silence for a long and awkward pause. "You haven't looked at me once since we got in here. I can't...I can't take it," Luca said to her frustrated. "We need to talk. Did you know about the baby?"

Ava quickly looked him over. He was wearing a pair of dark blue sweatpants that sat nicely on his hips and a white v-neck that contrasted with his tan skin. His hair was slightly damp from an apparent shower. He reached for her hand and she flinched.

"Please don't touch me, Luca," she said moving further away to the other side of the bed. "Now I can't touch you?!" he said incredulously looking at her. "I would prefer you didn't," she said struggling to keep her tears at bay. Luca sighed in frustration and ran his hand through his hair.

"I was going to tell you about the baby the night of the opening, but you broke up with me. Then everything happened. There wasn't time." Luca wished he could change so many things. If he would've stayed over that night they would've taken care of Nikolai's men. The girls wouldn't have been assaulted and traumatized.

More moments of silence passed before he spoke up. "Do you really think I'd ever hurt you?" he said to her now leaning forward in the chair next to her. She heard his voice break and her heart broke with it. She instinctively wrapped her arms around her stomach and Luca noticed the action.