Chapter 9

Gianni sat in the backseat of the town car thinking about Cara Mia and hating it. She was a light in his life and his day entailed nothing but darkness. Today was going to be difficult, because he was going to be in both types of meetings all day with Pietro and he didn't have the patience for his men or his cousin.

The first few meetings dealt with the real estate aspect of the business and would be as boring and predictable as Gianni imagined. It was his evening meetings that had him feeling some type of way.

They had two large new territories that they had taken over, but there were problems. The gang activity was becoming an issue despite Gianni's memo to the leaders. He wanted to go the nice route to get them off the properties, but it was apparent he would have to get his hands dirty to ensure his message was received and understood.

Luca was in charge of the security team that dealt with any of Gianni, Giovanni or Giorgio's affairs. Luca would be accompanying him to take care of the gang members that had the audacity to push back against a Petrillo decree. When things like this occurred, though rare, Luca would always shoot Gianni a look.

He knew Luca was quick to kill. Luca felt it was the only way to go. He didn't care for diplomacy. However, Gianni wanted to keep both his and Luca's bloodlust to a minimum. He knew the monsters that resided within them and it was best for all involved to not awake them.

"I'm going to drop you off and meet some of the guys at the warehouse." Luca said pulling in front of one of the Petrillo buildings in Manhattan. "Let me know when you're almost done and I'll take you to the next spot." Gianni shook his head. "I'm going to ride with Pietro. We have meetings together all day and though I know what we'll be dealing with the amount of time it'll take to settle the ordinances is unknown." Gianni moved to open the door. "I'll let you know about tonight. I want us focused on taking care of the Hammerheads and the Capybaras. Those two gangs have been testing me and will be dealt with tonight."

Luca smiled in understanding causing Gianni to roll his eyes. "You can try not to look so gleeful about it, Luke. This isn't a fun activity." Gianni scolded earning him an eye roll. "I'll pick you up after your last meeting and we can head over to the old chemical plant on Washington. Tonight, we'll send a clear message to the two gangs and all the gangs in nearby areas." Gianni nodded and headed out of the car.

He made it to the 20th floor and stepped out of the elevator to be greeted by his assistant Elijah. Elijah Covington was the best assistant he could ever ask for. Most of the time, he anticipated his needs before he even knew it. He took his job very seriously and was quite appreciative of the compensation he received. Gianni liked Elijah because he had the life he wanted for himself. Elijah was married to a beautiful and kind wife and had the happiest little boy Gianni had ever seen. In Gianni's eyes, Elijah had a joyful life and he was happy to play any part that ensured he, his wife and son stayed in their picture-perfect bubble.

His brother and cousin made fun of him for having a male assistant, but he knew the benefit of not dealing with a woman who would eventually become obsessive like both Giovanni's and Pietro's past assistants had become.

"Your cousin is waiting for you in your office and the meeting with the councilmen will begin in fifteen minutes," Elijah informed handing Gianni a cup of coffee and messages from last night. "Thanks, Elijah." Gianni smiled grabbing everything before walking into his office. What Gianni saw had him irritated instantly. There was Pietro sitting across his desk with his feet propped up.

"Cousin! Aren't you proud of me? I'm early." Pietro beamed as Gianni took a seat. "Those are the same clothes you wore yesterday, Pietro." Gianni deadpanned as he took a seat. "I'm guessing you found a chick who was willing to sleep with you who lived nearby and you needed a quick exit before she woke up from a night of pure debauchery." Pietro's smile faltered before being replaced with a grin. "You know me too well, cousin." Gianni shook his head as he turned on his laptop.