Chapter 33

Cara Mia and Rachelle sat outside the spacious hospital room as nurses tended to Ava. The nurses took them away when they all first got there to get checked out and have an IV put in to flush out the poison.

Ava was rushed into surgery and Rachelle and Cara Mia were in hysterics over that fact. It was apparent they were in shock, so the nurses hurried and gave them both a sedative after tending to their wounds.

Ava was in surgery for hours. Once they got the go ahead that she was out of surgery, they made their way to the sitting area outside of the state of art hospital room where Ava currently laid. They needed to be with their best friend.

Cara Mia looked around at the fact that they were in a literal hospital. Luca had taken them to the basement of the Petrillo mansion where they were transported to their personal hospital. It all seemed so professional and normal, but it wasn't.

Cara Mia wanted to be strong for Ava and focus on her making it through this whole ordeal, so she couldn't give into her thoughts. She couldn't wrap her mind around the facts she was forced to face.

Luca had given Ava to Dr. Daniela Maggio and told her to save her or else when they first made it to the hospital. That was the last thing he said before he left. Neither Cara Mia or Rachelle knew where he went, so when Giovanni and Gianni finally arrived and asked, they didn't have an answer.

Both men had showered before joining the women who were obviously still in shock, but sedated. The doctor walked towards them causing everyone to stand. "We were able to get the bullet out, but it has caused a lot of stress on the body. We are going to keep her sedated for the next day or so that way she can heal and be strong for herself and the baby."

All the air in the room had gone. "Baby?" Cara Mia questioned. "Yes, she's a little over three months pregnant. I'm sorry I thought you knew." Gianni and Giovanni looked at each other wearily. "Thank you so much, Doctor." Rachelle said with a genuine smile.

"We're going to be Aunts," Cara Mia chuckled as she hugged Rachelle. "Lord help us whenever we go to Target!" Rachelle smiled. It was as if for a moment they forgot where they were or the severity of the situation. Gianni and Giovanni just watched them as they talked about decorating nurseries and buying baby clothes with smiles on their faces.

Pietro chose this time to walk upon them. "Everything is taken care of," Pietro whispered to Gianni. Cara Mia noticed and faced them. "What's going on?" Cara Mia asked sternly. She was brought back to reality and immediately grew tired of the secrets and lies.

"Nothing." Gianni and Pietro said at once. "No! You don't get to do that to us anymore!" Cara Mia screamed. Gianni could tell that the reality of their situation had come tumbling back. Cara Mia thought about everything and visibly shook.

Her parents. Ava's parents. It all felt too much. Her eyes were frantic. Gianni walked towards her and wrapped an arm around her waist. "DON'T TOUCH ME!" she screamed pushing Gianni off of her and startling the three men.

"Y-you...you killed them! You killed all of them!" Cara Mia said shaking as the shock of everything hit her. "H-how? How could you? How could you do this?!" She glared at Gianni angrily. "Cara Mia they all threatened to hurt you. They were bad people," Gianni said taking another step towards her.

"THAT DOESN'T GIVE YOU THE RIGHT!" she shrieked. Tears streaked down her face as she frantically put her hands in her hair. She thought back to the carnage still trembling. "I-I can't...I need air," Cara Mia said before running out of the room.

"Shit..." Giovanni said lowly as he kicked an invisible piece of lint on the floor. Gianni stared blankly at the door that Cara Mia had just left out of. He felt like his heart had just dropped into his stomach. He gulped hard wanting to chase after her. He wanted to comfort her, but the way she pushed him away told him so much.