Chapter 26

Days turned into weeks and weeks turned into months as everyone seemed to fall into a groove with their schedules and relationships. Dinner at Clarissa's became a biweekly thing, while the men would sometimes find themselves sleeping over only to wake up before dawn to leave.

Gianni filled Giovanni in on Cara Mia's father and their father's friendship. Giovanni advised, like Pietro, to leave it alone. The worse thing that could happen is for their father to get involved. Regardless of how careful Gianni may think he's being they all knew that Massimo had eyes and ears everywhere. It's what made him the most powerful mafia boss.

Cara Mia was hard at work with the dancers and band for Vagabond, while Giovanni worked with staff members and security. The club would be opening that night and he wanted everything to be perfect. As Cara Mia began practicing the opening number with her dancers, she noticed a few of them looking behind her.

She turned around to see an older grey-haired man walking into the area. "That's Massimo Petrillo," Dean Hanover, one of Cara Mia's lead male dancers stated. Cara Mia's ears perked up. This was a chance to meet Gianni's father and she wasn't going to pass it up. "Dean takeover...I'll be right back."

As Cara Mia headed towards him, she began to notice the similarities between him and his oldest son. He had a similar build to Gianni, while his facial features matched Giovanni completely. All men shared the same facial structure and cheekbones, but Massimo shared Giovanni's green eyes.

"Hi, how can I help you?" Cara Mia asked with a wide smile. "Hi, Bella. I'm looking for my son, Giovanni." Cara Mia nodded and pointed towards the kitchen. "He's working with the chefs to ensure tonight is perfect. He should be out shortly." Massimo nodded and smiled. "I'm Massimo Petrillo. You are?" "Cara Mia DiLaurentis," she smiled and noticed that he had gone as white as a sheet.

Before she could speak up, Giovanni came from behind her. "Papa, what are you doing here?" Giovanni asked stunned. He picked up on the interaction between the two and the facial expression on his father's face. He knew something was wrong and would call Gianni as soon as he was done there. "I wanted to make sure everything would be ready and right for tonight. I have a few business associates coming out for this." Massimo said snapping out of his daze. "It'll be good Papa. Trust me. I want it to be perfect for you and Ma's anniversary."

Cara Mia clapped her hands in excitement. "It's your anniversary?" Massimo laughed slightly at her enthusiasm and looked as if he was reliving a memory. "Yes, it is our 30th anniversary." Cara Mia shook Giovanni's arm with such fervor. "I have to sing a song for you two. Any requests?" Giovanni shook his head and laughed. "Can't Help Falling in Love is our wedding song." She beamed and nodded.

"You will get a special shout out and dedication." Massimo nodded and thanked her. She excused herself to allow them some privacy as she went back to teaching. "Tell your brother I need to see him in my office before we head back here tonight," Massimo instructed as he turned to leave. "What is this about, Pa?" Massimo turned back to look into a pair of eyes that so perfectly matched his. "The truth."

Ava sat across Dr. Nik Vo as they dissected her project plans for the pediatrics program. They had been working together for months and built up a friendship that she appreciated. Sure, he did his share of flirting, but Ava never reciprocated. She belonged to Luca and was happy. She never told Luca about the harmless flirting, because she remembered how angry he got when he found out she was working with him. "I think this proposal will be perfect and approved in no time," he smiled widely causing her to smile. "I hope so. I know it will do a world of good for the children and their mothers."

They began to collect their papers from the small conference room and headed out. "Any plans this weekend?" Nikolai asked as he turned off the light. "I'm actually going to the opening of that new club Vagabond with some girlfriends tonight. We'll probably be out late, so I'll more than likely sleep all day tomorrow," she chuckled walking behind the nurses' station. "You should come out to the club tonight." Nikolai laughed heartily. "I'm not a club goer. Give me a good book or the company of a beautiful woman and I'll be there." Ava noticed how his eyes lingered on her body even in her scrubs. "Don't look at me like that, Nik." He smirked and rubbed his fingers over hers.