The Worst is Yet to Happen

"We have some soup downstairs for you." A small voice came from behind us. I turned around, expecting to see someone taller but was surprised to look down and see a tiny girl in a dress with different shades of green in blocks on it. She'd dressed up as a creeper for RTX.
"Thank you young lady." I said, surprising myself. My voice was coming back. It wasn't completely back. It was still quite raspy but it was progress. My hand travelled to my throat and I touched it gently in disbelief. I cleared my throat before continuing.
"What's your name?"
"Lucy." She whispered slowly, looking at the floor and swing ing her foot across the concrete floor.
"Lucy. I'm Lauren. Say, do you like minecraft Lucy?" I asked her in an enthusiastic voice. I watched her eyes lighten up.
"Yeah! How did you know?" She seemed confused.
"I saw your creeper dress! It's lovely." I told her, keeping up my enthusiasm.
"T-thank you Lauren! My uncle Ollie made it for me. We play minecraft every time I go over!" She twirled around to show me the whole of her dress. Hearing someone's stomach grow I turned to my friends and giggled. I stood up and bent my knees slightly, extending my arm to Lucy.
"It's beautiful," I winked at her.
"Shall we talk about this some more on the way to supper?" She took my hand, smiled and nodded frantically.
"So, how old are you Lucy?"
"I'm 7! How old are you?" She stated. She was so excitable. It was so adorable! Me and Ryan had spoken about one day having kids and both hoped we would one day have some. But a 7 year old in a zombie apocalypse...it just wasn't right.
"I'm 27. I'm old!" I giggled. Ryan giggled behind me and I turned to him, poking my tongue out.
"Wow. 20 years older than me!" She sounded exasperated.
"Do you live here Lucy?" I enquired, curiosity getting the better of me.
"No. Uncle Ollie won't tell me what's going on..." Her voice trailed off and she stared at the floor.
"It's better that way..." I whispered to myself.
"Huh?" She looked up at me.
"Oh nothing don't worry." I smiled lightly at her. A mouth watering smell of chicken soup filled my nose.
"We're here!" Lucy shouted, dragging me along behind her.

I sat next to Lucy for dinner and spoke to her about video games until the young man I'd met at RTX sat opposite me.
"Hi." I smiled at him.
"Hi. I'm Oliver by the way. But you can call me Ollie. You don't have to introduce yourself to me. I know who you are." He smiled widely, revealing perfect, white teeth.
"Howdy Ollie. I'm going to introduce myself anyway. I'm Lauren Burns. It's a pleasure to meet you," I reached out my hand for a hand shake. He grabbed my hand, accepting my greeting.
"You're Lucy's uncle right? She told me a lot about you on our way over here." I chuckled at her, putting a final spoonful of soup into my mouth and letting it trickle down my throat slowly, savouring the flavours.
"Oh did she now? All good things I hope." He grinned at her and winked, messing up her hair.
"Thanks for the song today by the way. It meant a lot."
"It was my pleasure." I nodded in thanks. I coughed slightly causing him to feel concerned.
"Are you okay? Your throat. It's bruised." He stared.
"It's nothing don't worry about it. Just a mishap with a z-" I cut myself off before I finished that word. Lucy didn't know the situation and it's better that she didn't know about them. About the zombies.
"A mishap with someone." I corrected myself before the situation ended badly. I stared at my empty bowl and swept my hair back.
"Oh Lauren I have something to give you!" Lucy said, disappearing upstairs. Confused, I say waiting for her return. The other 3 RTX fans entered the hall from the kitchen.
"Oh here's the others. Lemme introduce you. That's Luca,"
I shook hands with Luca greeting him with a friendly smile. He had dark brown hair tucked behind a grey AH beanie and a slim figure. He had simple skinny jeans and an AH hoody covering his top. He also gave me a charming smile. He stood tall and strong, like Ollie.
"And Liz," I shook her hand next. She was around the same age as me. She had a small slim figure barely covered by clothes. Her small dress barely reached half way up her thighs and she wore skin coloured tights underneath. Her tight leather jacket signified the size of her cleavage and she wore tiny brown boots. Her hair had been bleached to high hells and was almost white, her face caked in make up. She kept one hand in her pocket and chewed her gum loudly. Her hand shake was sloppy and careless. She looked me up and down and popped her gum before rolling her.
"Great to meet ya." She scoffed. I raised my eyebrows and smirked to myself.
"You too," I spoke. "Bitch." I said quiet enough for myself and possibly her to hear. Lucy returned, bouncing on the balls of her feet, waiting for the conversation to end so she could show me whatever she had.
"And this is Harriet. She's kind of a big fan of yours." Ollie whispered the last bit to me, putting a hand in front of his mouth so only I could hear.
"Kind of?! I'm a massive fan! I'm so glad I could meet you even through this. I mean I was gonna come to the sign and see you then but holy CRAP you're actually in our safe house with us!!" She squealed practically bouncing off the walls.
"Harri." Luca warned through gritted teeth, averting his eyes to Lucy.
"Oh yeah sorry I'm just so EXCITED!" She shrieked. I laughed at her. I turned to Lucy.
"Whatcha got my little creeper?" I sang. She threw her arms out in front of her to show two walkie talkies.
"Oh wow aren't these cool!" I stated sounding excited. I went to hand it back to her but she refused it.
"Incase you have to leave at some point. Then we can still speak!" She said through a smile. I was glad she was so happy. I finally turned to Harriet and asked if she wanted to go somewhere and talk. We ended up on the roof and spoke for hours.