Chapter 12: Dead or alive?

The last thing I remembered was the book report presentations. I scratched my head, using my elbows to get up off the bed. It smelled here. It smelled like a hospital. I am in a hospital. This sharp pain shot through me. My head, it hurt. And I felt my face, finding a large, deep cut that stung when my hand was near it. I heard students' voices outside of the door. It's probably my classmates. I had a needle on my wrist. Connected to a tube, that was connected to a pack of water. Ouch. This hospital. It's the one where Julia is! And it must be where Daniel and Richard are too! Hooray! 

My other arm hit the hospital bed on the edge, and it hurt badly. I yelled out a swear word on accident, covering my mouth and punching myself, figuring it wasn't a good idea after all. A pretty brunette nurse walked into the room, leaving me staring innocently.  

"Have you felt any better? Be honest." Her pretty dimples showed when we smiled at me, saying that. I smiled back.  

"Yeah! Totally! I swear! Can I see my friends?!" I jumped up saying, discovering a broken ankle, "OWWWW! Hehe, I'm fine. Can you, erm, get my crutches?" 

"They're not ready." 

"SWEET! WHEELCHAIR!" 

"Not as sweet as taking your pills." 

"Oh, uh, sweet, and will you introduce yourself?"  

"Hello, I'm Tanya. I will be your nurse," she looked down, like she was lying, and continued, "... in training." she giggled and I laughed.  

"Are you... seeing anyooonneee?" I raised my eyebrows, cause doing that is funny.  

"Oh stop it! Hehe!" she laughed. She gave me my pills and I took them. Then she grabbed my wheelchair, and pushed me to Julia's. When we arrived, I was shocked. Julia had already gotten her hair shaved off. I covered my mouth, and wheeled myself to her bed.  

"Oh Julia..." I cried. She lifted a finger and nodded a couple times. I found myself singing Safe and Sound by Taylor Swift, "Oh, ahem, I really truly hope, that you get... better." I smiled and wheeled myself away. Julia made a noise, it sounded like the song I was singing. I giggled. Tanya puhed me to see Richard and Daniel. Daniel had gotten a bad case of amnesia, ad Richard got a brain disease. Daniel forgot everything, he only remembered himself walking to school. The illness took away 3 hours before the accident. So he never knew what happened. Richard has a brain disease, that if not treated right and soon enough, he will have brain cancer. Like... Julia.  

I heard a boy's choking noise and scream. So I was curious. I looked at Tanya. She nodded, and pushed me to visit that boy. I gasped. The boy smiled when he saw me, but it was faint. He shut his eyes, like nothing happened. Somehow I felt this strong connection between us. I looked at his info band.  

"CONOR MANNINGTON, 13 YEARS OLD.  

MURDER-SUICIDE , NOVEMBER 18 

BED 6, ROOM 14, FLOOR 2 

WEST MCKINLEY HOSPITAL" 

I smiled. I wanted to visit him everyday now. But I still wondered why he screamed. He was the boy I saw choking on the playground. I smiled again, this time my heart was beating fast. I liked him. Was I in love? I felt my forehead. I was kinda warm. Ugh.  

As I lied in my room, the boy's name flashed in my head a thousand times.  

Conor. Mannington. 

Conor Mannington.  

I smiled so much my jaws hurt. I started giggling. I was happy! For the first time! But wasn't be choked to death? Is he dead? Or is he alive?