Chapter 8: Life or Death

I screamed. Then the darkness turned into light. I saw my friends bending over me, I was laying on something hard. I realized it was only the ground. I may have seemed to have a head injury. It felt like I banged my head on a pole 100 times. Literally. My friends helped me up and I got back my consciousness. No more choking, burning throats, etcetera. I smiled, well, I tried to. My head still hurt a lot. I found out that Emma had her hand on my shoulder and it was Julia singing. I scratched my head, but accidentally found a bruised spot and yelled, "Ouch!" I dozed off after that. 

When I woke up, I took a look at the clock. 5:28pm. It was afterschool already. I recognized a TheWanted poster on the wall. It was my room. I smiled. I felt my head. It was a little better. My iPhone rang, and I reached out to pick it up. Julia called. She said a snake nest is right behind her treehouse.  

"Julia!" I shouted the moment I arrived, "where is it? I wanna see!" 

" 'Wanna see?' This is life or death, Cathy. There's like a hundred snakes in there," she replied and rolled her eyes, "gosh." 

"Then why'd you call me over? I like snakes." 

"Oh. My. God, Cathy!!!" she shouted at me, like I ripped ten pages out of her homework notebook, "just, get a twig, you've done this before, at your piano teacher's garage." 

"Soo?" I said, joking, but apparently she can't take jokes.  

"I really wanna punch you guys," a voice from behind us said. Me and Julia both looked back at the same time, with a look that said, "do you think this is a good time?"  

It was Emma. "Let me do it." She walked up to us and pushed us apart, she grabbed a giant twig from the ground and poked the nest. Me and Julia watched. I was getting annoyed of Julia jerking her body every time Emma does something weird to the snakes. Emma threw the twig somewhere else, and hit Julia's cat. She raised her shoulders, not really caring. She was gone for a while, and came out with a hatchet. Me and Julia were all like, 

"Emma, NO!" "Emma, don't do it" " Emma, you could die!!!" "Emma," "Emma, "

She did it. 

She took the hatchet, raised it up far behind her back, and brought the heavy hatchet down with a scream, "GRAAAAAAHHHHH!" her scream was as high pitched as my voice when I drank helium.  

About three snakes got cut in half. Five escaped, and two were still there. Emma blew at them, like blowing out candles on a birthday cake, and they flew like leaves on a fall evening.  

The five that escaped came back, this time, they had fangs. It were, to me, as though they went home and put on fake fangs then returned. The largest one slithered to Julia, and Julia was screaming every second. Emma stood laughing so hard she cried, crossing her arms. The snake leaped a high leap, and was about to bite me, when Julia somehow tried to catch the snake. The snake bit Julia so hard the fangs were still stuck in her leg like a pencil and wax. When it let go, Julia let out a groan, and nearly passed out. Blood was pouring out of her leg, while I went and got a First-Aid Kit. Her parents weren't home. They should be at this time of day. It's 6:53pm. I gave her mom a call, and she panicked and panicked when she arrived. 

"JUUUULIIIIAAAA!" she shouted. Emma just stood there, and stared at Julia's leg. She was hypnotized.