Chapter 13: Scary In A Way

••A month later••

I walked, well, limped, to Conor's room. There were tubes everywhere. The heart monitor was low, but every five seconds, it would raise. He was struggling to breathe, so he had a plastic mouth -- thing over his mouth. I found myself sitting on the side of his bed and grabbing his hand. It smelled of blood and was cold. I let go immediately, not knowing what I would catch holding his hand for too long. I stood up, and looked at him for a long time. He made short breathing sounds.  

"Call the doctor! The patient, Conor, is breathing well!!!" I shouted into the receiver. Men and women in hospital coats with equipment rushed into the room, pushing a metal cart with pills and that stuff on it.  

I stared, curious. They stuck a needle in his wrist, while I looked away quickly. I may not like seeing those things. His mother walked in. She was gorgeous. She had blue eyes, like her son, soft skin, a gentle nose, and innocent lips with dark red lipstick on them. She was wearing a floral skirt with a floral top. She had a pearl necklace and a pearl bracelet. Her shoes were red high heels. She walked to me and asked, smiling,  

"Hello darling, are you Conor's friend?" 

I didn't know what to say, "Well, technically." 

I found myself sitting on a couch in the waiting room, with Conor's mother next to me. I looked at her and smiled.  

"You are... technically his friend?" she asked.  

"Well," I explained, "I think he's nice, and even though he's never talked to me before, nor I have talked to him, I felt sorry for him." 

"Would you like for me to introduce myself, and Conor?" she asked.  

"Yes, please," I replied with an excited smile.  

"My name is Kendra. Kendra Mannington. I am Conor's mother, as you know," there was a long pause, "Conor has autism, and depression. Something inside of him keeps forcing him to commit suicide. It seems as if he were to be possessed... By an evil spirit." 

"Yes, yes," I said, nodding. 

She sighed, "Conor hasn't been, involved, with many family events, and he doesn't know much. Honestly, not even about me." Oh, did I mention her British accent? Yes, it's fascinating, "He runs away a lot. And once attempted stabbing himself. I asked him why, and he said he didn't know, because," another long pause occurred, "he didn't do it." 

I thought about the playground situation. It wasn't him, or his spirit, it was a vision. Why for me? 

"Mhm hm." I replied.  

"He tried to strangle himself about a month ago. He stopped breathing. For sure. A spirit haunted him," she wiped away her tears with a fancy handkerchief, "Oh, darling, would you like to come to my house?" 

"Yes! Yes please. I've been released anyways. I'm just visiting." 

"Great! Please come at 5:30pm and we'll talk more."

•••••••

ding-dong.  

I pushed the doorbell, waiting for the door to open. It did, as Mrs. Mannington peeked out.  

"Why, dear, I'm so glad you've come," she said, she looked over my shoulder, pointing, while standing on her tip toes for a second, "and that is..." 

"Julie. My classmate Julie," I answered. 

"Why, come on in, you two," she said, laughing.  

As we walked by her side, I had a bad feeling about that place. It had a scary setting, somehow. I heard someone talking upstairs. It was a man. I looked up, and Kendra saw me.  

"Oh, ahem, um that is my husband, dear. My husband Tom, "she looked up and cupped her hands beside her mouth, "TOOOMMMM!" 

He ran downstairs, saw us, and smirked.  

"Well, he's crazy. He's ... mental. And he's a drug and crack addict. Don't go near him, okay, dears?" she said.  

She explained every nook an cranny of her home to us, then aske us to sit, while she gets out cookies and ice cream.  

"You sure this is safe?" Julie asked, "It seems real strange." 

"Yeah, tell me about it," I replied, "It's scary in a way. And her husband?" 

"Ugh, ew," Julie groaned.  

It was about an hour already. No cookies. No ice cream. I thought everyone disappeared or something. But then we both gasped, after hearing footsteps getting louder and louder down the stairs.  

"It's the guy....." Julie whispered.  

"Oh. My. God," I whispered back.  

"What do we do?" We kept on whispering.  

"I have no idea, but I can't find the door. It's too dark." 

"What the heck, Cathy? You told me to come." 

"Well sorry!!!!" 

The man stood in front of us. He reeked of ash. He screamed a heart throbbing scream, leaving two screaming girls (you know who). 

I herd Julie shout, "Helppp!" but it was muffled. I reached to my side, but I felt nothing but a wooden wall. Julie was gone. I got scared.  

I heard her scream a blood curling scream multiple times. My heart was beating faster and faster on every scream.  

Julie screamed again, "AAAHHH-" silence. She was gone. I looked around, my heart thumping so fast I thought it was going to explode. I ran in every direction. When I gave up, I took out my phone, as a flashlight. I shined it in front of me. Then I heard a loud thud ahead of me. I kept walking, my heart beating. I kept on walking and walking silently.  

"AAAAAAHHHHHH!" I screamed as someone's big hands grabbed me from behind.