Chapter 19: Arrested

RICHARD'S DEAD?! My heart sunk. I felt like my stomach rolled into a ball. As I stepped out of the elevator, I took out my phone and called Emma.  

"Emma," I said, when I heard her say "Hello?" 

"Whatchu need?" Emma replied.  

"What did you do to him? Why? What did we do to you? Does it make you feel good to know that one by one, we're suffering, and you're laughing?" 

"Yes. It does make me feel good." 

"UGGGHH. EMMA." 

"Look in your mailbox to-" there was a static, "ayy... There lies-" static, "future." 

The call ended. I was confused, as I looked behind me, my friends were weeping over fear. Look in my mailbox? Why? There lies the future? Of who? Again, a million questions kept popping into my head.  

"You guys, let's go. Alex is probably waiting. But first, let's go see Richard." I said, as they followed me.  

When we walked into Richard's hospital room, we saw his parents weeping and stroking his hair. His brother had 'SAD' written all over his face. Richard's face was pale green. His mouth was open. He looked afraid. I shook my head, trying to erase these thoughts from my mind. Not wanting to interrupt, I left the room. I looked for Room 103.  

"Yes.." I hissed after seeing a room with a small whiteboard that wrote "Room 103, Patient: Alexander"  

"ALEEEEXXX!!!! HEEEYYY!" I shouted, pushing the door in, making a huge thud noise as it slammed against the wall. I realized it wasn't the right time. I saw Alex sitting on the side of the bed, crying out, as a nurse covered his back and chest with First Aid stuff.  

"Oops," I replied to my own mistake, "Are you... okay?" 

"Yeaah, hehe, ye-OWWWWW!" he squealed. I laughed. I heard footsteps pounding behind me as it reached the door. There were FBI agents and policemen holding guns and lowering their heads as they quickly wave their guns sideways.  

"EVERYBODY ON THE FLOOR! Except the patient. HANDS UP!!!" A man with a receiver said, with his other hand pointing a gun towards me. I slowly put my hands up as wondered what's up. Suddenly my friends arrived at the door, shocked, and frightened.  

A man shouted, 

"WHO IS-" and looked down at his notepad, "CATHY?"  

I gasped and shaking, I answered, "Y-yes? Th-that's me."  

"YOU'RE UNDER ARREST FOR A MURDER ATTEMPT." 

My jaws fell open, "Wha-whaaat?! Wha-I didn't attempt a murder! No!" 

They handcuffed me and dragged me out the door, Alex stared in fear, not knowing what problem we're about to pull ourselves into.  

"N-NOOO! LET ME GO! I NEVER DID ANYTHING WRONG!!!" I yelled, my voice almost gone.  

"It wasn't Cathy!" I heard a voice shout. It was Alex.  

AT THE CRIME INVESTIGATOR...

Telling the truth, Alex sweat. The policemen and FBI were nodding and writing in their notepads. The other policemen were checking my backpack. I realized there was a gun in my backpack. They will misunderstand me! They'll think the gun was what I used to shoot.. Alex?! 

NOOO. Everything's going wrong.  

"Aha! And yoou didn't shoot him, then who?" an agent said, crossing his arms, with the gun in his hands.  

"I-I, I didn't." I started sobbing, with Anna sitting next to me and calming me down. Julia, Joe, Clarissa, Cyrus, and Frannie were talking to a few officers in another room. I cried.  

"Anna, it-it wasn't me..." I continued sobbing. She nodded and looked away, then let out a sigh.

It was past three hours now, and I'm sitting alone in a dark room waiting for a talk with a few officers. My cellphone rang. I looked around and quickly answered.  

"You're having fuuuun, aren't ya?," a lady's voice said.  

"Let me guess, this is Death." 

"You shall not confess ANYTHING to the officers. If you do, the results will not be pleasing. And you will receive-" there was static, "book," static, "tonight..." The call ended. Why is there always static when there is something important trying to be told? Plus, it's a new phone.

This is freaking me out.

I looked around me, finding anti-crime posters on the walls. The chairs and tables were worn down. Their curtains seemed sliced up. I wiped my tears away, sniffed, and stared at the woman entering the room. I said,

"Hi, I'm Cathy."

"I know. Let me introduce myself. I'm Olivia."

If I could describe her, I'd say she's a redhead alright. She has those large glasses you'd find geeks wearing, but when she wore them, she looks dangerous as heck. She was tall and skinny, and she wore a purple suit with pink high heels. Her wavy hair was tied up in a bun, with a soft, feathery tie.

"Will you tell me everything that has been occurring?"

"I, I can't. A-actually, nothing was, really going... on." I gulped.

"You think I couldn't tell you're lying?" she frighteningly said.

"I'M NOT LYING." I argued.

"I've been hearing that before. Now all you hafta do is explain the gun, Alex getting shot, and, you know, whatever you kids have been up to. Your teacher and parents reported to us that you kiddos," she patted my head, "have been acting a little strange lately.. haven't you?"

"Wow, just wow. You really don't believe a group of mature seventh graders, who are, just a little unique." There was silence.

"Okay, guess what? We'll give you a surprise, if you tell us," she told me, nodding.

"People say that there isn't always free candy in the van, so, I really don't need that 'surprise' or yours." I replied.

"I'll give it to you anyways. But it's not a surprise. And we've looked inside it, it's what we'd find in a kiddo's notebook. KID-DO." She immediately stood up and left the room, leaving me alone on a rotten chair. She returned with a purple notebook, like what a middle schooler would bring to Literature class. Olivia set it on the table in front of me, said, "There," and left.

I slowly opened the notebook, when all of a sudden she opened the door again, scaring the living daylights out of me.

"You can go now," she added.

"Ulghhh, well, you can go too." I replied.

I waited for her to leave and darted out the door, finding no way out in the darkness. An officer stops me and asks,

"Excuse me, kid, but, where you headin'?"

"I'm supposed to leave."

"Are you Cathy?"

"Yes." I gulped.

"A few officers want to see you."