Chapter 42: Dream

Pinagmasdan ni Kael ang mahimbing na natutulog na dalaga sa kanyang tabi. She looks so peaceful in her sleep.

She's the Gillian he used to know. He's certain about it. He's still skeptical about this parallel universe thing. But come to think of it. Since he met Hill, she's always an uneasy person. A day after another, her personality was shifting.

May araw na sobrang bait nito at napakamahiyain. Sa susunod na araw naman o linggo ay nagiging salbahe ito.

She's a very respectful, behaved and well-mannered child. But one day, there he witnessed a sudden outburst. As if, Hill was a different person. She's a spoiled brat, yes but something's off. He didn't pay much attention to it anyway. Thought she was just having family issues or what. Then, he noticed it became a habit. She was not herself sometimes because she would forget some certain events. He even remembered she was brought to a neurologist. Yes, it was Dr. Green.

Years ago...

They brought her to infirmary because she was beaten by a group of highschool girls. It surprised him because she was never in trouble or don't want to be in trouble.

He was at the doorway watching Mrs. Mendrez back. Dr. Green was at the corner listening to the sermons.

"Look at you, sweetheart! You're a mess. What if these wounds leave a scar?"Mrs. Mendrez was restless.

"We're rich aren't we? Can't we possibly afford to do something about it?"She retorted with no hint of respect.

"Hill, what have you become? I didn't send you to the most expensive school just to act rebellious and ungrateful. Tell me, sweetheart. What's wrong?"

Mrs. Mendrez tried to hold Hill's hand but the latter immediately snatched her hand away.

"Don't touch me! You're not even my real mom!"

Silence. I was shocked. Dr. Green was shocked,including Mrs. Mendrez herself. Everybody was shocked.

"What? Are you gonna pretend like you are? Huh."Hill was obviously bitching against her mom. She crossed her arms on her chest with a domineering look on her face.

"Gillian... You are my daughter."

"I am not your daughter."

"Sweetheart, you're talking nonsense. Why are you doing this?"

"I'm not really your daughter. You can't even bear a child. How can you have me as your daughter?"

Pak!

Mrs. Mendrez slapped Gillian real hard.

"Do not test my patience!"She pointed at her daughter.

Gillian flipped her hair.

"I pity this girl. She's very unfortunate to have a wicked step-mother."

"Wicked? You brat!"Mrs. Mendrez voice broke.

Dinaluhan ito ng doktor.

"Madame, calm down. You're hyperventilating."The doctor supported her.

"Call my husband... Call Aciel. Call him!"

"Yes. Yes."Agad na tumalima ang doktor.

Ngunit ng mapansin nitong nakikinig ako ay dali-dali nitong sinara ang pintuan.

Gillian was looking at me coldly before the door was finally shut.

Bumangon si Kael at nagpahangin sa veranda. Aaminin niyang naguguluhan siya pero... paano kung posible? Isa pang palaisipan ay kung bakit kamukha ni Gillian si Stellar na nasa painting.

Sabihin na nating naniniwala siya sa lahat ng sinabi ni Gillian. Ibig sabihin, itong Stellar ay bahagi na ng buhay nila simula pagkabata... simula noong kapanahunan ng ninuno nila.

Is this some kind of a curse? Why is this happening? What does Stellar wants? Why does she keeps coming back into their life? And of all people, if my great great grandfather really met Stellar once, why did I meet Gillian in this lifetime too? Why not anybody else with different face? Why of all women in the world, does it has to be her?

"No!"

Natigil sa pag-iisip si Kael nang marinig niya ang sigaw ni Gillian. Agad na dinaluhan niya ito.

"Hill, it's just a dream."He cupped her face.

"The paintings...it's all gone."

"What do you mean?"

"She burned it all. Your paintings at your grandma's house."

Kael loosened his grip.

"Oh. How did you know about it?"

I never told her about it yet.

"I saw it in my dream. She did it."

Another proof that she's telling the truth.

"Yeah. My grandma called the other week. Someone broke in and set the art room ablaze."

"How about them? Are they okay?"

"Yes. Thank goodness, they're fine."

She sighed in relief.

"So you can see Stellar in your dreams?"He asked carefully.

"We're somehow connected. My dreams are mine and her memories."

"Oh, that's quite amazing."Tumango-tangong saad niya,"I'll get you a glass of water."

"Wait. Don't you dream about him too?"

"Him?"

"Uh, yeah. Of course you have no idea who's Euros was."

"Euros?"

"He's YOU in the other dimension."

What the actual fvck? There is also other me?

Kael was left dumfounded the whole night. He didn't sleep much.