The Enemy of My Enemy

"Why shouldn't we kill them all now? They have proven time and time again that they don't really want peace. Let's give them what they want!" Indra roared. Lexa had already relayed the new information to her generals and it was clear that they were all on a similar page as Indra.

"Shof op, Indra!" Lexa snapped back. "I'm getting real tired of your constant interruptions." Lexa sighed. "We cannot expect perfection from them. The people who have caused harm against our people were disobeying orders and they will be punished for their treacherous efforts. They will be punished by our hand and then we will work towards an alliance with their people. Tomorrow, I am heading to TonDC to assess the damage myself and I will be bringing Clarke, their leader and healer to help take care of the aftermath. She has shown time and time again that she is willing to learn our ways and that she respects our culture. There are more like her. There are more who wish to know more about us, not so that they can use it against us, but so that they can develop a relationship to our people. Even further, I have seen some of their technology and tomorrow, I will be a belt to see their healing techniques as well. I believe they could be a valuable asset to the coalition. That is my final decisions."

"But Heda, they aren't trust worthy."

"Em pleni. I am aware of the risks. I understand why you are worried. I would not be doing this if I didn't see it as in your best interest. I will serve my people as I have since the first day of my command. Anyone who chooses to challenge or disobey this decision will pay gravely for their crimes."

When she heard no response, she concluded that they were compliant.

"With that being said, I will see you in about two days time when I return from TonDC. I am leaving Anya in my place. She is in charge."

"Sha, Heda." The generals spoke.

Lexa exited the war room and went back to her tent where she undressed down to her sleep wear and crawled under her furs. She pulled Eli Griffin's journal towards herself and began reading more about his life on the Ark. Like always, she was fascinated by his world and the people in it. She was nearing the end of the journal and from what she understood, Eli was nearing the end of his life.

She read the next few passages with care. The first was a list of Eli's proudest accomplishments, the first being his family. The next was an entry of one of his favorite memories of his son and the last was an entry of his favorite memories with Clarke.

The woman that had been with Lexa today was the same girl in the journal, but a lot had changed. The light in Clarke's eyes had faded into a dull glow that occasionally burst into flames. Her loud and happy personality was mellowed by the weight of the responsibilities and suffering forced upon her, but her curious nature was still intact and that brought Lexa some peace.

She had to admit that she felt bad for Clarke. She understood her struggle. She had only been 11 when she had ascended to be Commander. She understood what it was like to have to make hard decisions for the good of all your people when there was seemingly a much better and more experienced candidate. And just like Lexa, Clarke fell victim to the ways of her people, even when she didn't agree with them. She understood all too much about Clarke's suffering because she had to suffer the same way.

———————————————————————————

"Hello, Bellamy Blake. I am Dante Wallace, President of the United States."

"Nice to meet you, Mr Wallace."

"So you aren't one of the savages."

"No. We aren't affiliated with the Grounders. We came from the Ark, a collective of what remained of the space stations after the apocalypse. Do you mind me asking: Where are your people? We haven't seen any of you since landing, but we're in range to hear your radios."

"That's because we live inside the Mountain. We have stayed inside the Mountain for the past 97 years, just like how you stayed in space. The biggest difference is that space allowed you to evolve to where the radiation doesn't bother you whereas we haven't. We can't live on the surface like you."

"That's why you aren't on the Ground. You're still susceptible to radiation poisoning."

"Exactly."

Bellamy was happy to be dealing with someone more friendly than the Grounders. The two people barely knew of each other and already, the Mountain and the 100 were off on better footing. "So, what is your relationship to the Grounders?"

"Well, they're savages. We have been at war with them for ages. They like war and they don't want to try anything else."

"Tell me about it," Bellamy scoffed. "They declared war on us not long ago. We didn't know that anyone survived on the surface when we came down, but we were absolutely certain when one of our people got speared through the chest on the first day down here. We brought in one of their men for interrogation only to find out they've divided themselves. So our capture was grounds to start a war."

"Wow. Speared through the chest. I would be curious too. They declared war for an accident?"

"Yeah. Exactly."

"Tell me, Bellamy. How many of there are you?"

Well," Bellamy sighed. "Originally there were 100 of us but we've lost a few on the way. 82 of the initial 100 are still alive. 84 if you count the two of our people who were taken by the Grounders. We have reason to believe that they're still alive, but being held as prisoners. The Ark was running out of air, so when we didn't die on the surface, more ships were sent down. We haven't been in contact with them and we don't know exactly where they are, but we saw them come down."

"Well, we might know something about where they might be located. We can see a lot from a mountain." President Wallace sighed through the radio. "And the way I see it, you and I are both being attacked by the same people. Do you know what that means?"

"The enemy of my enemy is my friend." Bellamy's heart began to race. Was the Mountain offering to fight beside them? "So what exactly are you implying we do about this common enemy?"

"We use common enemies for what they do best: Unifying our people. I'm suggesting that our people work together to defeat the savages. Your people can walk on the Ground and our people can lead you to find the rest of yours, while supplying you with weapons of the need arises." Wallace paused. "So, what do you say, Bellamy Blake, leader of the 100?"

"I don't think I have a reason to disagree." Bellamy smiled to himself. "So how do we start?"