Demons

"It had to be that way. My demons must have come after me eventually. Sorry and thank you"

"Gosh," I whispered. "What demons does she mean? People hungry for revenge?"

"Something's very wrong," Kurt said without emotion. "Something... that even I don't know, about" he looked at me from under the hood.

          Our search took a long, long time. It was getting dark when Kurt found her sitting with a gun in the middle of a clearing deep in the woods.

"I couldn't," was all she said.

         She was silent throughout the long evening. Kurt tried to reach out to her, but she was stubborn. She spoke around midnight:

"Nobody knows this feeling when you have a gun at your temple and you only need to gently squeeze the trigger to die. It feels so cool, you know?" she asked thoughtfully. "Scary but fun. I've killed so many times and chickened out to kill myself."

"Raven... why?" Ronnie asked anxiously.

"I realized that sooner or later it would all fall apart," she admitted. "They'll find me. All of them, one of them in particular."

"Who are you thinikng about?"

"I'll let him, but that will be his end," she smiled eerily.

"Your ex?" I blurted out suddenly. Raven looked at me in surprise when she heard that.

"Don't you dare talk about him!" she roared madly.

          I wanted to confront her with it, but somehow gave up. Perhaps it made Kurt glare. It said straight, "Shut the fuck up."

          I backed out.

"We will protect you," her brother assured her. He forced her to meet his eyes. "Do you understand?" he took her face in his hands.

        Ronnie stayed upstairs with Raven, but Kurt pulled me out to give me a lesson of life.

"What the fuck is that supposed to mean?!" he yelled at me without warning. "Her ex?!"

"He's here," I confessed.

          Kurt took a step back. He tilted his head as if he misunderstood me.

"Excuse me, but what... the fuck...? What the fuck are you talking about?!"

"I met him."

          Then he attacked me with his fists. He punched my left cheek with his fist until I fell down.