Chapter One

A beach.

Madelyn saw a beach in front of her. For a few minutes, she was unable to move. She opened and closed her mouth a couple of times, wanting to say something, but not knowing what to say or who to say it to. She turned around in a slow circle, taking shaky breaths. The bedroom door which she had just opened, less than a minute ago, was no longer behind her. She was standing at the back end of the beach, near the forest that came before it. All Madelyn could do was stand there, eyes wide and mouth hanging open. All while a million thoughts raced through her head.

Although most of these thoughts were incoherent, there were a few that just about summed up her thoughts. Where was she? Where did her room go? Was she dreaming? Had she somehow fainted at some point?

The beach spanning in front of her was breathtakingly beautiful. Under different circumstances, Madelyn might even have tried going in the cerulean, clear water. Maybe she would've sat down and admired the pristine, white sand, or the cloudless, deep blue sky. Although these circumstances didn't allow her to sit back and enjoy it. She had to find out what was going on.

After a few more minutes of standing there, shocked, Madelyn had made up her mind. This was certainly a dream. An awfully pleasant one at that, considering the kinds of dreams she usually had. She walked on for a little, hoping to find somebody that could help her. So far, nobody. Madelyn's hair was luckily no longer dripping wet, although her clothes were seeming to take a lot longer to become even remotely dry. Even though the weather was perfectly pleasant, every time a soft breeze blew, she shivered in her wet clothes.

***

"He was wild," Edmund said, a little disturbed by what had just happened. He took a small look at Lucy who was hugging Peter, before looking back down at the bear in pity.

Peter slowly lowered his sword while Edmund still had his sword raised for a little more.

Trumpkin poked the dead bear in front of them with his bow.

"I don't think he could talk at all." Peter looked at Edmund, confused. Edmund shared the look. The thing was, most animals in Narnia could talk. Seeing this wild bear was unexpected.

"Get treated like a dumb animal long enough, that's what you become." Trumpkin didn't seem shocked, just disappointed. Edmund looked down in shame. Sure it wasn't his fault what was happening in Narnia, but he couldn't help but feel a tad guilty.

"You may find Narnia a more savage place than you remember." Trumpkin bent down, pulling his arrow out. Lucy turned her head away and closed her eyes. A sob left her mouth. Edmund winced, looking down.

Getting up, Trumpkin looked at the siblings in front of him. Behind them, he saw a small figure in the back of the beach walking closer towards them.

***

Madelyn turned a corner and looked ahead, seeing a group of people standing a little in front of her. She felt a little hope surge in her chest. Maybe they could help her. And with that thought, she quickened her pace.

Madelyn opened her mouth to get their attention but before any sound left her mouth, the shortest of them started running towards her with a sword in his hand. Madelyn's eyes widened as he got closed to her and she backed away, finding it a bit difficult to run in the sand. Before she had the chance to fully start running, Madelyn was knocked down onto her back with a short scream. The man held the sword to her throat, dangerously close to cutting her skin. He had a threatening look in his eye that made Madelyn want to get far away from him. She took quick and shallow breaths and looked at the man with wide eyes.