Chapter Eight

Waking up the next morning was one of the most difficult things Madelyn had to do. Madelyn had never been much of a morning person and this night, in particular, she'd only gotten about three hours of sleep before Lucy was vigorously shaking her awake.

"Madelyn!" This was about the fifth time the girl had called her name and seemed to be getting frustrated. All Madelyn did was groan and turn over.

"Madelyn, you're already late." Madelyn knew that Lucy wouldn't give up and considering she was already late, she rubbed her eyes, before pulling herself up with great effort.

Lucy told her about how Edmund was waiting for her on the grounds and she was already running late. Madelyn rushed to get ready and finally ran onto the grounds. She saw Edmund there, already dueling someone. Madelyn waited for him to finish, standing to the side.

She watched in admiration as he fought. He clearly hadn't been lying when he said he was good and Madelyn had to keep reminding herself that although he was from England, he'd been to Narnia before and had a lot of practice with a sword. Madelyn noticed how Edmund moved swiftly with agility. He was never distracted and it showed. Of course, she'd never admitted these things to him. She lived to annoy him with her sarcastic remarks just as he did her. They hadn't known each other long, but so far their relationship- if there was one- just consisted of constant bickering and annoying each other. She could find a plethora of topics to annoy him about and would never get tired of it.

It took him a few minutes to finish. When he did, he was slightly out of breath and reached up to wipe the sweat off his forehead. Madelyn walked up to him with a small smile. He looked up at her with a raised eyebrow.

"Someone slept in." He teased her.

"It is literally just dawn. I don't think I'd call that sleeping in, Eddie." He chuckled at her.

"Well, you ready to have your ass kicked?" She ran her tongue over her teeth, looking at him.

"Shouldn't I be the one asking that?" She tilted her head a bit to the left.

She reached back and pulled on her ponytail making it tighter before pulling her sword out of the sheath.

***

Throughout the next few hours, Edmund taught her the basics of sword fighting. He showed her what to do in certain situations and what not to do. The main thing that he had to emphasize was to keep focused. It was mainly her fault because she was easily distracted and lost in her thoughts.

He was now fighting her as practice and she was keeping up pretty well up until a bell rang somewhere further down in the How and she looked away for a split second. In that split second, he got her. He moved quickly behind her, with his sword at her throat. His other arm was around her waist, keeping her from moving away.

"Bam, you're dead." He whispered this in her ear. He was close enough for her to feel his light breath on her neck. It was enough to send shivers down her spine. Madelyn let out a breath in frustration.

She realized how close he was to her and all of a sudden, making her cheeks were heating up. He noticed it as well, clearing his throat, he moved the sword down and away from her throat and let go of her waist. She took a few steps away from him and stood facing him, silently praying that her cheeks had returned to their normal shade.

"You were doing really well. You just need to remember to stay focused. How about we take a break for today? We've been working for a few hours now." He looked at her, running a hand through his hair which had some sweat dripping off it. Madelyn's muscles were already aching, but she didn't want to stop. All she knew was that she had to improve and to do that, she had to keep practicing.