Chapter Eighteen

Nervousness.

It was a feeling that Madelyn despised. It seemed to sneak up on her at the worst of times and all she could do about it was sit through it. There were butterflies in her stomach, but they weren't anything like the good kind that she felt around Edmund. These butterflies made her feel like she'd empty all of the contents in her stomach.

Did I just think that? Edmund and butterflies? No. Definitely not.

She'd barely been able to sleep the night before thinking about this moment. Madelyn was standing in a room in front of the Professor. If she wanted to find out more about the dream she'd had, he was the one person who could tell her. Edmund had asked Madelyn if she wanted him to come with her, but she knew that no matter how much she wanted him with her, this was one thing she had to do alone.

"I was wondering when you'd come to see me." Professor Cornelius looked at her with wisdom in his eyes. Madelyn chuckled nervously.

"You knew I was coming?" A small part of her thought that maybe it would be better if she just didn't find out because she wasn't ready for her entire life to change just yet.

"Well I was right, wasn't I?" He gave her a warm smile.

When she thought about it sometimes, she felt stupid for feeling so anxious, but the thing was, this moment could change her entire life. She had a right to be at last a little nervous.

"I want to know who I am. Who my parents were." She was being straightforward, but there was no other way she knew to do it. She needed answers before the curiosity ate up her insides.

"I see you've already learned that you are from Narnia." Madelyn nodded in anticipation. Her eyes had a slightly vacant look in them. This meant that the dream was real. She was right.

"I'm not going to beat around the bush because I know that's not what you're here for." Madelyn gave him a weak smile, thankful that he was ready to give her a straight answer. Lately, it felt like every single thing was just an endless maze. In all that confusion it felt relieving that there was at least someone who could give her clear answers.

"Your mother was the younger sister of King Caspian X. She was Miraz's older sister." The breath that Madelyn took didn't come back out. She just stared at the man, waiting for him to start laughing and tell her it was all a joke.

When the breath finally came out, it came out in a chuckle. Madelyn reached up, shaking her head slightly with a small smirk on her face.

"Okay, come on. Very funny, now tell me the truth." She fidgeted with her fingers, subconsciously pushing down on each finger until she heard the loud crack from her knuckles. She'd been told at least a hundred times before that it was an awful habit, but she couldn't seem to leave it behind. To her, it just happened like breathing just happened.

"In the years after King Caspian's death, it got increasingly dangerous for your mother and father. After you were born, they knew it was no longer safe for them to live there. There was no limit to what Miraz would do. They knew that to keep you safe, they'd have to leave." Madelyn gasped slightly. Her mouth stayed hanging open in shock. She really had expected him to say he was joking, yet instead, he just went further into detail.

Madelyn put her head in her hands, just thinking. Every single word she knew before had left her mind.

"No, but... my parents would've told me. Right?"

"Madelyn, think about it. How logical would it be to tell a six-year-old that she was actually born in a world that technically doesn't even exist?" He raised an eyebrow at her. She hated to admit it, but he was right.