Chapter 6: How Far A King Can Go

Meta Knight's eyes widened as he watched Kirby and the warp star dissapear into the swirling purple vortex.

As much as he didn't want to go in, and as much as he feared on what may be on the other side, he knew had to follow his student.

He cared for him too much to let him go.

Turning to Dedede, Meta Knight gave him a glare that would've cause a snowman to melt on a cold, snowy day.

But Dedede turned to Escargoon, his eyes flaming with determination.

"Escargoon, you'll hol' onto me. We'll try to shu' down the machine, so we can avoid anyone else getting hurt."

Meta Knight stepped back in shock. He knew Dedede could be deceiving, but this was on a whole other level. Bringing Galaxia out of its sheath, Meta Knight put it up to the king's neck threateningly. The penguin stayed in place, his eyes moving to the blade nervously as the cold metal touched his skin.

"Do not even try, my king." Meta Knight growled, his killing intent pouring out of him like a tsunami. "I will not tolerate your lies any longer!"

Dedede held up his hands. "You gotta' listen to me, Meta Knigh'!" Dedede protested, shooting him a desperate look. "We gotta' save 'em kids! I promise, this ain't no lie!"

Meta Knight paused, then sighed, sheathing his blade, still doubting the once selfish king. Dedede, without a moment's hesitation, threw himself at the portal, holding onto Escargoon as he cried in both pain and fear.

Meta Knight's eyes became white with shock as he followed his king. Dedede and Escargoon were nearing the portal slowly and carefully, Escargoon looking as white as a ghost as he clutched onto the royal robes of Dedede.

Diving after the two, Meta Knight looked at Dedede with surprise, running the opposite way so that he wouldn't be sucked in immediately. "What are you doing?" he asked.

Dedede gritted his teeth as he tried to defy the vortex. "I- I'm tryin' to get Escargoon to shut off this thing! I have to go after Kirby!" Dedede yelled, his voice urgent and pleading.

Meta Knight felt himself freeze for a moment.

Had the king truly changed his ways?

As a knight, Meta Knight was taught not to assume. To find evidence before striking.

After all, 'innocent until proven guilty'.

Bowing his head in shame, he looked back at the king. Dedede was nearing the portal until he was just infront of it, with Escargoon still clinging onto him.

Escargoon tried to reach for the control panel on the throne, biting his lip as he failed. Meta Knight swallowed, closing his eyes.

He knew Dedede would be sucked into the portal. Half of his body was already enveloped in the purple light. So, using the last of his energy, he shoved Dedede into the portal, and pushed Escargoon towards the throne, allowing the king and servant to let each other go. Then, running after Dedede, he was swept in a world of hazy, purple light, praying that Escargoon had the strength left to shut off the delivery service once and for all.

~~~

Meta Knight woke up and immediately regretted it as he felt a constant throbbing against his head. Hiding his pain, Meta Knight dusted his cape and armor off, whilst looking around his surroundings.

The land around him was green and peaceful, although not as pleasant as the grounds in Dreamland.

At least, when there were no monsters to hunt Kirby.