eleven

tessa

when ethan pulls back into the parking lot, i see my dad standing outside of my car, peeking in through the windows with his phone clutched tightly to his ear.

then i remember that mine has been dead for hours, and he's probably been trying to call me.

"your dad," ethan mutters.

"i know," i sink down in my seat with a groan. "i thought he'd have left by now."

"well obviously he's not gonna leave if he doesn't know where his daughter is, numb nuts," ethan spits out, pulling into his usual parking space.

i shoot him a dirty look. "no need for the attitude."

"look, here's the game plan—"

we both have no time to respond before a knock comes to the side window, and i look up from my slouched position to see my dad fuming.

i swear there could be smoke coming out of his ears.

he motions for me to roll down the window, and i do with trembly hands.

"get out of the car," he says evenly, but i can tell
he's on the verge of losing it.

"dad—"

"get out of the car. ethan too."

i look over to see him gulp, but turn off the ignition anyway. both of us slowly climb out of the car with our heads lowered, not daring to look the tall man in the eyes.

he jabs his thumb over his shoulder. "go."

"no."

he raises his eyebrows challengingly. "oh?"

i swallow, trying to stand a little taller. "you didn't even know why i was in his car, dad. you should give me time to explain."

"i know exactly why you were in his car," he nods, crossing his eyes and shooting a dirty look at ethan.

"richard—" ethan starts to explain calmly, but i step up.

"it was my idea. he was running to get the espresso machine, and i insisted on tagging along. he didn't do anything. he told me to go back inside," i rattle off, only lying once or twice.

my father's gaze shifts to me, then back up to ethan. "that true, dolan?"

ethan's expression is slightly undetermined on what to do.

say yes, i try to brainwave to him. say yes. it's the truth.

"yes," he finally states out confidently, avoiding my eyes.

i let out an unnoticeable breath that i had been holding in, and suddenly all my father's anger is pointed at me.

"you're grounded."

"i'm 18. you can't ground me."

"i can if you live under my roof. let's go, tessa."