twelve

ethan

monday morning, still no tessa.

it makes me frown, but go back to brewing out the morning coffee anyway. muffled voices can be heard from richard's office across the hall, and i just have a feeling he's talking about me.

i grab the carton carrier of drinks in preparation to pass them out to the right people when his office door suddenly opens, and he faces me. without a single word, he motions me into the office with a movement of his finger.

i sigh, setting the drinks back on the counter and prepare myself for what i could possibly endure for the next five to ten minutes.

daryl's in the office as well, scowling at me more than richard is. i awkwardly take a seat next to him and wait for someone to start talking.

when no one does, panic fills my chest.

"oh my god," i whisper, wide eyed. "is this about my case?"

"ethan—"

"is it reopened? who's the new witness?"

"that's not what—"

"what was the new evidence that was brought up? the gas station receipt?"

daryl clamps his hands over his ears and hums in his head, and i realize he isn't on my case, and i can't be releasing information like this in front of him. it could drag him into it as a source of interest.

"none of those, ethan," richard says, then motions to daryl that it's okay to listen again.

"then what is it? i was busy. kimberly in computer occupations gets very aggressive with her morning coffee," i say, shifting in my seat.

"we just wanted tell you that you've been doing a good job."

i raise an eyebrow. "really?"

"despite some outside concerns..." daryl drags out, most likely referring to tessa. "you've been keeping out of trouble. good for you."

"was i ever really that much of a troublemaker anyway?"

"at 15 years old you stole your neighbor's bike and sold it to a man in delaware, at 16 you trespassed onto private property, and then at 17 you spent three nights in juvie after keying a car parked sideways in a parking lot."

"hey," i start to defend myself. "my key slipped and made those marks."

he looks unbothered. "mhm."

"what we're saying is," richard interjects, looking tired. "keep it up. you're doing good around here and laying low."

"daryl cover your ears again," i instruct, and he does with a sigh.

"what if... what if i get tried for... you know what?david isn't stopping, richard. he's not going to let this go," i whisper in a hushed tone.

"ethan," he says slowly, calmly.

"yes?"

"you're innocent."