Part 20: The Next Step

I woke up a few hours ago to this empty room. I panicked at first, thinking I was back in that terrible place, but thankfully that's not the case. My head has been throbbing since I opened my eyes but I think sudden ridiculous misadventures will do that.

I've been sitting up against one of the walls just taking deep breaths for a while, but my mind has only now started to clear. The fragments of memories and feelings flowing through my mind.

I remember, I can actually remember.

It's not much, just a hand full of memories ideas and feelings disjointedly running together, but it's better than nothing. I remember my kids and my mother, I remember Seán and N/N. Or maybe it's Y/N now. I remember how much they mean to me though a lot of pieces are missing. I remember the other planet and everyone bonding, but most of that is either still missing or really unclear.

Light suddenly pours into the room as someone opens the door and I cover my eyes as best I can, hoping to avoid exaggerating the pain.

"How are you feeling, son?" The older man asked, crouching down beside me.

"Other than my splitting headache I think I'm in good condition." I joked.

He laughed, thankfully, but then sat down and took on a serious expression.

"And what of your mind?"

"Honestly," I sigh," I just want more than anything to see my kids. To know they're okay and safe with my mother. Don't get me wrong I'm pretty desperate to recover my memories too. But my family is what matters most."

After a moment the old man smiles and carefully pats my shoulder.

"Don't worry, son. I've already checked up and they're safe at another hideout. Not only are they at one of the safest locations, but they're quite relieved to know you're alright!"

A tidal wave of relief washes over me and I finally relax for the first time since waking. As the tension headache finally starts fading the door opens once more, two more people coming in.

"Chase, you're awake. How are you feeling?" Y/N asked as she and Seán sat down on either side of me.

"Could be worse," I chuckle, "But at least my family is okay and some of my memories are back. Honestly I am so happy to see you guys."

The two of them carefully hug me before Duke checks over my mental state again. I thank him profusely not only for bringing back memories but for killing my headache. He responds with a warm smile, telling me that Y/N is the only licensed Psychologist here. Regardless of the usual laws on conflict of interest she'll have to be the one to help me.

"I'm actually a lot more comfortable with that since she's familiar, it's comforting and I'm sure it'll make talking easier." I assure him.

Seán and Y/N end up talking with me for a few hours after Duke leaves before taking me out to the cafeteria for an early lunch. The food might be a little bland, but it's filling and I'm grateful to have something to eat at all.

The others end up joining us part way through the meal. Amy offers me a simple job of cleaning medical equipment while I recover, which I gladly accept. She does tell me that Duke has made it clear I need time not only to recover but to learn this new power I've somehow come into so I don't accidentally hurt myself or others. I guess for now, all I can do is try to move forward.

                                                                                              ~~

"Seán! Wanna head over to the meeting together?" I turned to see Y/N jogging up behind me.