Part 7: New Revelations and Mysteries Arising

Yesterday was really fun, so we all decided to stick together today too. And since both Seán and Marzia have doctors appointments today, it works out for comfort's sake. I really hope nothing is wrong with our kids, I just want them to be healthy.

After about an hour of waiting we finally got in for Seán's checkup, his back is healing but it's a slow process. N/N held his hand as the x-ray machine did it's job, while the rest of us made jokes to keep him distracted.

Another fifteen minutes of waiting later they finally brought in the results.

"So, the results came back a bit unusual. You are healing properly, but there's something else showing up on the pictures we don't recognize." The doctor calmly said.

Confused, we watched them put the pictures up on the display turning the light on. Immediately strange, almost veiny purple colors showed up on the scan.

"The strangest part, is that it splinters out from the injured area but it never showed up before spreading so far. And as far as we can tell it's only likely to have hit the surface around your hands. I've never seen anything like this before."

"Is it dangerous? Should we see if it's known amongst mutants?" N/N asked, noticeably trying to calm herself.

Marzia leaned into my side, worry lain across her face as everyone tries to remain calm.

"So far it hasn't done any damage, but I would suggest asking around about mutant originating diseases. Just in case."

"So I'm okay for now?" He asked, hopefully.

"Yes, but I can't honestly say for how long that might remain true."

"N/N," She quickly looks over to me, "We're already going to see Duke after this. So he might be able to help Seán too right? Do you think that's worth a shot?" I ask in slight desperation.

I don't think I can handle that kind of bad news right now.

"You're right." She smiles, "If anyone would know, it would be Duke."

Watching her relax made me, and everyone else, feel a lot better. I felt the sharp tension in my chest finally let go at the sight, Marzia thankfully following suit. She doesn't need any extra stress.

After thanking the doctor and signing their papers, we quickly make our way over to see Duke. N/N hummed quietly the whole way over, allowing everyone to relax a little more.

"Morning, kids!"

Duke stepped out of his home to greet us, before leading everyone inside.

"I've got some coffee made if any of you want some. I also have a cake in the fridge that I'm not going to finish myself!" He laughed.

"You say that, but I still remember the day we snuck into the training buildings kitchen." N/N chuckled.

He laughed heartily in response, patting her on the back and having everyone sit down.

"So I'm gonna be checking on your little ones today, correct?"

"Yes sir," I nodded stiffly, "But if you wouldn't mind, Seán got some unexplainable results on his x-rays today. Do you think you could make sure it's not something dangerous?"

He looked around the room, assessing everyone in front of him before relaxing his shoulders. You can tell his nod of agreement feels like a blessing for N/N.

"Alright, son. Lay on your stomach with your arms relaxed at your sides."

"On the floor?" He asked.