Chapter One

One wish per person.

Even a genie could grant a better bargain than that. One wish was bad enough as it is though. Surely it was what they had thought unanimously when the two teens watched in enamored horror as Hawkmoth held their jewelry.

Hawkmoth had made a terrible mistake. He had finally succeeded in acquiring the ladybug and black cat's miraculous and found out the identities of its bearers- his son, Adrien and Marinette, his girlfriend. Despite knowing he had constantly injured his son in their many battles as foes on the battlefield, wielding their respective miraculouses, he knew he had to do this. He knew he would be happier with his mother back in their lives anyway.

He had thought he would be happy for knowing his reason. But he was met with hatred-filled eyes from Adrien- something he had least expected.

Once he wished for Emilie's life back, he saw a bright glow emitting from Mayura who was forced to de-transform as she gripped herself in pain. He ran towards her as the miraculouses had taken their time to process what he had wished for. She was glowing, apparently. Her glasses fell to the floor as she shifted uncomfortably in her crouched down form.

Gabriel held her shoulder, shaking her.

"Nathalie! N-Nathal- what's happening? This never happened before..."

Marinette groaned, shaking Adrien to come to. When he realized what she had meant, his eyes landed on the two villains who were his father and Nathalie.

"Father!" he gasped in horror. "W-What have you done to her!" he ran towards them, pushing Hawkmoth away roughly on purpose, tears welling in his eyes.

"You idiot!" he screamed at him as he held a quivering, coughing Nathalie close like his life depended on it. "Are you happy with yourself now, father?" he sobbed earning a strained mantra of reassurance from Nathalie.

Marinette was instantly at his side. The identity reveal became the least of her worries. They were far from the Parisian's eyes anyway. She couldn't tell him that it was going to be fine this time. The damage has been done and Hawkmoth was still confused as to what had just transpired. Marinette scowled at the man whose glare was not fazed by her attempt at intimidation.

But he felt... utterly scared.

Too scared to comprehend. Too scared to go back to her side like he used to when she felt unwell because of the miraculous. What was even wrong with her? Were they blaming him for it? Apparently so.

"Adrien! You can't blame me for wanting to wish for your mother back, son! We had committed a mistake on our parts in the past which lead to her demise and I am simply wishing for her to return," he was unsure what words were to leave his mouth. What was even going on...

"No," he said sharply. "Don't you dare call me your son. Not after taking the only actual parental figure in the house away from me!"

"Away from you?"

Marinette walked towards him, stopping a few feet away. Her icy glare sent an uncomfortable shiver down his spine.

"Mr. Agreste- wait no. Hawkmoth," the words felt bitter with venom in her mouth. "Have you ever thought that maybe your wish wasn't a one-sided gain at all? An action can always have a negative reaction! When you decided to wish for your Emilie back, you already asked for a life. You have caused disturbance between the balance of creation and destruction. Hence, they're taking someone of equal value as the price you needed to pay," her glare intensified.

"I bet you didn't even think about that," the bitterness in her voice became more prominent.

She... was right. He knew nothing about a price.