Chapter 9 ~ Perfect

Y/n's Point of View:

I was sitting next to Tanaka, his arm draped around the back of my chair while we talked about the volleyball club with Narita, Ennoshita, Kinoshita, and Noya. Ah look at us, the second years.

"The first day Hinata and Kageyama came to the volleyball club, Daichi said we'd go to spring nationals." Tanaka said, his face unreadable.

"I forget, is the first qualifying round for the Spring Nationals in August?" Noya questions.

"He said we'd go there one more time." Tanaka responds.

"Yeah, so there's no time to wallow in defeat!" I said enthusiastically, trying to lighten the mood. They all looked at each other and then at me, determined looks on their faces.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I was walking with the other second years towards the gym after they changed into practice clothes. "So, do you guys think the third years will stay? I mean they have to, right? They wouldn't just leave..."I trailed off.

Tanaka's hand squeezed mine. "Of course they're gonna come back!" He said, smiling. A chorus of agreements rang out. I sighed, "Yeah, you're probably right."

When we got to the gym, we saw that Hinata, Kageyama, and Kiyoko were already there.

Noya yelled, "KIYOKOOOO! You look beautiful as ever!" He started to run towards her, "I will faithfully follow you forever!" Just as he was about to tackle her into a hug, she quickly ducked causing him to crash outside the gym.

I chuckled and walked up to Kiyoko, wrapping her in a hug. "Kiyokoooooo, I feel like we haven't talked in forever!" I cried.

"Y/n, we went to get ramen yesterday," She casually responded.

"Yeah, but it's felt like forever!" I smiled cheekily.

When we were talking, Tsukishima and Yamaguchi walked into the gym. Noya came back in, covered in dirt, saying, "Well, we're all here. Now we just need the third years."

"But, club wasn't even scheduled today. Maybe they aren't coming back." I chimed in.

"Hey, hey, hey! You know they wouldn't leave us hanging like that! Ever!" Tanaka shouted.

I could see Hinata growing concerned, "Wait, what?" He turned to Kiyoko, "The third years are staying in the club right? Aren't they still going to spring nationals?"

Kiyoko didn't reply for a couple of seconds. I started to grow uneasy until I heard footsteps running up behind me. I turned to see the rest of the third years, "Yes, they're staying."

Tanaka ran up beside me, excitedly yelling, "You're late, nerds!"

Suga looked up smiling, "Let's go to spring nationals!"

We all smiled and yelled in response (except for Tsukki of course).

During practice, Kiyoko and I looked to see Coach Ukai entering the gym.

"How about that, hard at work huh?" He smirked at the guys.

"Please continue coaching us!" Daichi said, bowing along with the rest of the boys.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

After practice was over and Ukai talked to us, Tanaka offered to walk me home.

"You know you don't have to ask anymore. I think I'd be mad if you DIDN'T walk me home." I joked.

"What can I say? I'm just a gentleman like that!" He said nobly, staring off into the distance.

"Shut up," I giggled, playfully pushing him and walking ahead. He caught up and walked next to me, slipping an arm around my waist.