27.

"What should the theme be? We have four hours and I have no idea what the fuck to pick out. All of these are lame. I mean," Cline ranted off about how awful the party decorations were. "He is either getting ninja turtles, or over the hill," she held up the banners.

"Maybe we can go generic? Get maroon and black balloons because he likes those colors? Do boys really care about themes?" Nova asked.

"No because they are losers," Cline huffed. "Let's just go with the color thing."

"I feel like doing this last minute was the worst idea," Nova sighed.

"We worked until four in the morning all week, this was the only real time that we had," Cline reasoned.

"We could go with princesses," Nova held up the crown with a smile.

"He might actually like that, but I already have all of this maroon shit," Cline replied.

"I already had most of the food made, I was going to go out and eat, but I know how much he loves home-cooked food," Nova sighed. "I hope this turns out okay."

"Rudy will love it," Cline rested her hand on Nova's shoulder.

"Jordyn just texted me, his clan is at the house, we should get there and start setting up," Nova instructed.

"So what did you get him for his birthday?" Cline asked.

"This lame Marvel shirt he just had to have and Bailey and I have Polaroids of his time with the OBX so we made a small flip-book," Nova answered. "Oh! And this pair of Vans with stars on them."

"Such cute nerds," Cline laughed.

"Just in time my beautiful girlfriend," Chase approached them to help with the bags.

"Oh Chase, you're moving much too fast," Nova joked since he didn't greet her.

"Shut up, hi brat."

"You guys get the cake?" Nova asked.

"It's on the counter waiting, I hope you like it, I just knew what flavor he liked."

"I don't care if it had dirt bikes on it with glitter, I'm just glad you got it," Nova replied.

Nova and the girls began decorating the beach by their houses. Nova was putting up balloons when she saw an extremely pretty girl. "Chase," Nova hit the back of his head.

"Ow what?"

"Rudy have a sister?" She nodded towards the girl. She realized that she was being dramatic, but when Chase's face faltered, so did Nova's confidence.

"That isn't a sister."

"First cousin?" Nova tried.

"Oh no."

"Second cousin?" Nova asked.

"Oh shit," Austin said. "Who invited Bri?"

"You know you two better tell me who Bri is," Nova threatened.

"Yeah, who is that?" Sarah asked, crossing her arms.

"So our boy Rudy had a high school, first love toy did thing, the only reason they broke up was because he moved to Los Angeles," Chase started explaining.

"She's a really cool girl though, don't get me wrong. They just kind of have this puppy love thing every time they see each other. She's kind of like the one that got away," Austin finished.

"How many mother fucking girls do I have to fend off?" Nova sighed.

"Honestly if he cares enough, he won't let anything come in between you two and if he does," Bailey snipped the scissors she was holding to wrap his gift she got him. "We cut him."