Attack-Sang Day

It takes me almost 15 minutes to reach the mall and less than 10 seconds to spot Lake's head of black hair sitting at a table in the corner of the food court, secluded from the rest of the customers, sipping, what I'm assuming is an ice tea. I head straight towards her, waving to Cody on the way. He gives me a bright smile and I can feel his eyes on me as I sit down in front of Lake, probably to see where he needs to serve today. A warm feeling develops inside me at his gesture.

"Is that ice tea?" are the first words that come out of my mouth.

"Peach flavored. Waffles, fruit, eggs and bacon for the both of us. I would have ordered less because it'll be lunchtime by the time we go back, but we haven't had breakfast." She says as she looks up from her drink, her black eyes meeting mine.

"I think our appetite will be able to accommodate this much food. Good choice." Our order might not seem like a lot, but the very reason students came here a lot, was because of more food at less rate. The taste and quality weren't bad either. As for my comment about our appetites, they were larger than was usual for girls our age. I had had malnutrition when Lynn first brought me home, and being fed good food three times a day, sometimes four, had turned me into a monster. As for Lake, she might have changed physically but biologically she was still a guy, and her stomach certainly made sure we knew that.

"So, who else is coming?" I ask her.

"Danielle was the one who decided on everything, so Karen's definitely coming. And I told you on the phone that Carla's making lunch."

At this point, Cody comes along with a tray in hand, serving our food on the table. I give him a hand, taking one of the plates, when his fingers brush mine. I look at him curiously, but his fingers don't linger for long as he takes his hand back. Lake watches us like a hawk, saying nothing. "Thanks, Cody" I say, giving him a polite smile. "You're always welcome!" he says as he retreats.

"Is something going on there?" Lake looks between me and Cody's retreating figure.

"No, nothing is going on there" I motion towards Cody, who is now taking someone else's order.

"Who even is he? I mean, I know his name, I've seen him take our orders before, but I thought it was because of Danielle, or because he knew Dylan or something." she stops as she mentions him, looking at me with guilt.

"It's okay." No need for her to feel bad. "He was a senior at Palm Springs last year. We used to volunteer at the school office together."

"So there is history there."

"Shut up and eat!"

"Alright, alright, I'm eating. Geez."

We eat in silence after that, and when we're both almost done, I ask her, "Have you already got everything you needed?"

"Yeah. Do you need anything?"

"Dad told me to get something for myself, for pampering and stuff. I think I should at least get some candy to show him when I go back home tomorrow. Also, my monthly's coming along; need some fix to keep myself in check."

Lake nods her head. "I'll go find a taxi."

Did you really think she'd have a car? We're still teenagers for god's sake. Cut us some slack.

I waltz in a departmental store that has been here for ages. It has practically everything you will ever need, and some really good candy.

Even from the 2000's.

I step in one of the aisles filled with candy. Yes, you heard that right, one of the aisles. This place has not 1, not 2, but 3 aisles filled to the top with chocolates and candy. These people really know what they're doing.

I'm going around, filling my basket with all types of sugary goodness, when I sense it. Something, or someone, coming toward me. It's a cart, I realize, as I hear the turning of the four wheels and the noise of things moving around in it.

The person handling it is light on their feet and seems to be in a rush. A sugar rush, I deduct as I take in the cart full of practically every candy in the store, and a guy with shoulder length blonde hair trotting-literally trotting-on his feet whilst simultaneously adding more to the cart. If that is even possible.

As soon as he notices me, his brown eyes looking panicked-God, even his eyes are like chocolates-he tries to stop the cart, but it already has too much momentum to stop at such short notice. I move out of its path, only for the flipping cart to ram straight into a huge rack full of milk powder boxes, the boxes creating a racket as they come crashing down, some of them falling into the cart and some onto the floor.

It's official. Today is some kind of attack-Sang day.

Both of us come closer to the mess, looking at it and then at each other with wide eyes. I'm not an overly clumsy person, but somehow this seems like a situation only I could get myself tangled up in. And looking at this boy, with the mischievousness in his eyes ready to come to surface at any given moment, I have a feeling this kind of a situation isn't exactly unusual for him either.

One of the people of the store staff take a look at our situation, and shake their head disapprovingly. I give a sheepish smile and start picking up the boxes and putting them back on the rack. The boy follows my lead.

As soon as the staff member is gone, the boy starts laughing, no doubt at the ridiculousness of our predicament. A giggle bursts free from my lips and soon enough, we are laughing like maniacs. The people in the store are looking at us weirdly but neither of us can seem to stop.

I giggle harder as I think of how this is the perfect set up for the first meeting of the romantic interests of a drama.

Boy, what have I gotten myself into.

•••••

AN: Yes, we all know who this 'sugar' is, don't we?

QOTD: What are y'all's favorite candies? Mine are the MilkyWay bars.