"You're Academy?"

Dr. Phil and I go through the usual check-up routine. Heart rate, blood pressure, freaking blinding flashlight in both of my pupils, the "Is there anything bothering you recently?"

Before long, the check-up is over and I'm good to go. Except, I have something to talk to him about.

"Dr. Phil, I wanted to ask something. Well, more like tell you something but in case you don't think it's-" he cuts off my nervous rambling with a reassuring look.

"You can ask me anything you want." He says, smiling, the crinkles around the corner of his eyes becoming more prominent.

"I want to join the Academy."

A surprised look takes over his eyes before his smile widens. "I'm pleasantly surprised. What brought on this sudden change of heart?"

"I-," I take a breath, giving a short exhale before speaking, "I want to help people out like Dad does and Lily does and you do. Honestly, I just need something to work for. Something to look forward to. And doing good is the best thing I could do, for myself, and for others as well."

"Very well. Are you sure you want to join? Because if so, I think I have something in mind for you." He says with a thoughtful look on his face.

"I want to do this." I declare with as much determination as I can.

"Alright. Do you want me to talk to Xander for you? Or have you already done that?" I give him a sheepish look. "I was hoping to get the green light from you first. Dad won't say no." I tell him.

"Okay," he laughs, "I'll inform him when I have something for you."

"Thank you, Dr. Phil." I say with a smile. He gives me one of his own and tells me, "You don't need to thank me for this."

I get up and walk to the door, turning the handle, when he calls my name. I turn around and he throws me a candy from his pocket. I quickly cup my palms and catch it as it comes flying toward me. It's strawberry. I smile sweetly at him.

"Have a great day." I say as I walk out of his office. "You too, dear." comes his reply.

*****

As soon as I stepped foot inside my home, I'd called for mom and dad. I'd hoped for an element of surprise for my revelation, but from the look they both had on their faces as they sat on the couch in front of me, all I found were sweet smiles. They knew.

"What is it, monkey?" Dad asked me. "Sang?" Mom called softly.

"Do you guys think I don't know that you already know?" I finally burst out.

"Aw, Sang," Mom said, "Phil was so excited that he called to inform us that you'd talked to him about joining." I look toward Dad and he.....he does jazz hands. "Congratulations."

"I wanted to tell you." I whine pathetically.

God, you're such a girl.

Because I am a girl?

Yeah, okay. Pretty solid argument.

"It's okay, sweetie. Should I make something special tonight?" Mom asks excitedly.

"No." Dad and I say at the same time. "Why don't we go out, honey?" Dad's attempt at saving our lives does not go unnoticed, however, it isn't rejected either.