Chapter 1

(Y/n) sat on a rock, with a book in her hand, waiting with the rest of the company for Bilbo to return from scouting how close Azog and the orcs were. She read through the book, interested in the subject. She felt a presence next to her, and looked to see Kili sitting down.

"What are you reading?" he asked.

"A book on elvish healing. Lord Elrond said I could have it while we were in Rivendell" (Y/n) replied.

"Interesting subject. Do you want to be a healer?' Kili asked her. She looked up at him and smiled.

"I do" she said "I really do"

"Maybe Oin could teach you some things about Dwarvish healing. I don't know much, but I do know the elves and dwarves have different techniques" Kili said. (Y/n) smiled brighter at him, and that was all he wanted her to do.

They both looked up, startled, when Bilbo came running back.

"How close is the pack?" Thorin asked him.

"Too close. A couple of leagues, no more. But that's not the worst of it" Bilbo replied, coming to a stop in front of everyone.

"Have the wargs picked up our scent?" Dwalin asked.

"Not yet, but they will do. We have another problem"

"Did they see you?" Gandalf questioned, but immediately assumed "They saw you."

"No, that's not it" Bilbo tried, but Gandalf interrupted him.

"What did I tell you? Quiet as a mouse. Excellent burglar material!"

The dwarves all muttered their agreement with Bilbo trying to speak in between it all.

"SHUT IT!!" (Y/n) yelled out, causing all the dwarves to quickly shut up. They didn't expect that from the small hobbit girl.

"T-Thank you, (Y/n)" he said, startled as well. He had never seen her snap like that. He turned back to facing the dwarves and spoke "I'm trying to tell you there is something else out there"

"What form did it take? Like a bear?" Gandalf asked almost immediately.

Bilbo looked confused as to how he knew this and spoke "Y-Yes, but bigger. Much bigger"

"You knew about this beast?" Bofur asked Gandalf, panic in his voice "I say we double back"

"And be run down by a pack of orcs?" Thorin countered.

"There is a house" Gandalf claimed "It's not far from here, where we might take refuge"

"Who's house?" (Y/n) asked the wizard.

"Are they friend of foe?" Thorin finished.

"Neither. He will help us, or he will kill us" Gandalf stated.

Well, that's comforting

"What choice do we have?" Thorin questioned. An ear splitting roar was heard echoing in the distance. The company jerked their heads to where it came from.

"None" Gandalf said.

The company ran across small rivers and through valleys, never stopping, for Azog was gaining on them. They made it into a forest , where they suddenly heard the roar again. They looked behind them and saw the giant shape of a bear. Bombur was frozen in fear, until (Y/n) pushed him forward, which was difficult, considering his size.

"Bombur, come on!!" she cried, urging him to move.

They ran over rocks and around trees, until a large house was spotted in a treeless plain.