Chapter 8

The next morning, (Y/n) woke up before the run rose to someone knocking on her door. She didn't want to get up from the first comfortable bed she has had in almost a year, but managed to pull herself up. The person on the other side of the door knocked again, and (Y/n) opened the door to see Fili standing there, smiling warmly.

"Hey, just letting you know you should probably get up and dressed. We leave a dawn"

"Okay, thank you" she said, about to close the door, but stopped when the blonde dwarf spoke.

"Have you any idea why my brother is acting as he is around you?"

(Y/n) looked at Fili's smug face, too tired to glare, but simply said "I don't know what you are insinuating, but I suggest you remove the thought from your skull, before I do it myself"

That managed to drop the smirk from his face for a moment before she closed the door to get ready for their journey. She couldn't stop thinking about the night before, wondering if her and Kili's time in the hallway had been a dream, or if it really happened. Did they really dance last night? Did they really almost kiss? (Y/n)'s head was swarming with these thoughts as she left her room, sword in hand.

Meeting up with the others, they were all dressed in new, slightly large, armor with their so-desired iron forged weapons in hand. Making their way through the town, the people gathered around their dock and watched as they continued the journey to the mountain, but (Y/n) and Bilbo both noticed someone was missing.

"You do know we're one short" Bilbo said.

"Where's Bofur?" questioned the sister.

"If he's not here, we leave him behind" Thorin stated to the hobbits, almost devoid of any emotion.

"We'll have too" Balin said, more sympathetic "If we're to find the door before nightfall, we can risk no more delays"

The dwarves began hopping into the large boat. (Y/n) and Bilbo stepped in, his large helmet flopping on his small head. (Y/n) thought he looked rather ridiculous with it on, for it offered little protection, not fitting his head.

Kili was about to step onto the boat, when Thorin stopped him, saying "Not you. We must travel at speed. You will slow us down". There was no sympathy in his voice. (Y/n) noticed their interaction, watching to see what would happen.

Kili thought his uncle to be joking, saying "What are you talking about? I'm coming with you!"

"Not now"

Kili realized that Thorin was being serious as he looked into his eyes.

"I'm going to be there when that door is opened" he stated "When we first look upon the halls of our fathers, Thorin"

"Kili, stay here. Rest. Join us when you're healed" Thorin said, although this time, he sounded more concerned for the health of his nephew than reaching the mountain. Kili looked heartbroken at this, and stepped away from the boat, his eyes full of despair.

"I'll stay with the lad. My duty lies with the wounded" Oin said, getting out of the boat.

(Y/n) couldn't go without him. She wouldn't. Quickly making up an excuse, she looked to Thorin and got out of the boat.

"I'm staying too. If Oin needs any help... I've been studying to become a healer. Besides, you have Bilbo, and he can be your burglar all by himself" turning to Bilbo, she finished "He has the courage"

Bilbo nodded his head, and Thorin simply looked away. (Y/n) heard the voice of Fili pleading his uncle.

"Uncle. We grew up on tales of the mountain. Tales you told us. You cannot take that away from him!"