Chapter 5

The company was slowly making their way down the ice coated lake. Fog covered their view of what was ahead. Most of the dwarves refused to sit down as the boat moved along, but (Y/n) sat down by the bargeman. He carefully steered the boat through the water.

"So, what do they call you?" (Y/n) asked the man. He looked down at her small form, and decided he could trust her. The way she held herself showed no malice or scheme.

"Bard. My name is Bard. What of you?" he asked.

"I'm (Y/n). It's a pleasure to meet you, Bard"

"You as well, (Y/n)"

Later, Bilbo came up and got the name of their smuggler out of politeness. He sat down next to his sister and put his arm around her, noticing she was cold. (Y/n) leaned into her brother.

"Hey Bilbo, I just remembered something" (Y/n) said, picking her head off Bilbo's shoulder.

"Oh yeah? What?"

"It's your birthday"

Bilbo stopped for a minute, then remembered that today was, in fact, his birthday. He had completely forgotten that today he turned fifty-two.

"That's-that's right. Thank you, (Y/n)"

"Happy birthday, big brother" she said, hugging him, and he hugged right back.

The fog cleared slightly as they went on, and they could see large stone ruins sticking up from the water.

"Watch out!" Bofur yelled to Bard.

The man expertly steered around each of the ruins as the company looked at them in awe. Thorin looked at Bard with suspicion.

"What are you trying to do, drown us?" Thorin accused.

"I was born and bred on these waters, Master dwarf. If I wanted to drown you, I would not do it here" Bard snapped back.

Thorin continued to glare at Bard, before turning back to the others.

"Oh, I've had enough of this lippy lakeman. I say we throw him over the side and be done with it" Dwalin suggested.

"Oh, Bard, his name's Bard!" (Y/n) told the others. She didn't like the idea of throwing him into the water, especially since they don't know the way into Lake-Town.

"How do you know?" Bofur questioned.

"Ah, we asked him" Bilbo sassed. (Y/n) smirked at her brother's words.

"I don't care what he calls himself. I don't like him" Dwalin muttered.

"We do not have to like him. We simply have to pay him. Come on now, lads. Turn out your pockets" Balin told everyone.

(Y/n) took the small bag of coins she had and put it next to Balin. He looked up at her, grateful, and she slightly smiled back. Gloin crossed his arms and hid something while all the other dwarves grumbled and gave up the last of the money they had.

"How do we know he won't betray us?" Dwalin muttered to Thorin.

"We don't" he replied.

"There's, um, just a wee problem. We're ten coins short" Balin said gravely after he counted the coins in front of him.

Thorin crossed his arms and sighed, saying "Gloin. Come on. Give us what you have"

Gloin faked shock, and said "Don't look to me! I have been bled dry by this venture. And what have I seen for my investment? Naught by misery and grief and..."

Gloin stopped as the dwarves got up from their seats, looking at something in the distance. (Y/n) cast her gaze to where they were staring, and gasped quietly in awe.