Chapter 7

A/N: This is a short transistory chapter. 

Kroos walked in solemnly and gushed at us, "am I interrupting something?"

His quircked eyebrow assured me that he saw a part of our kiss. Brenn looked at him in dismay then turned to me with a smirk on his face. What was it with him and smirking? I shrugged him off rolling my eyes at him playfully and averted my attention to Kroos.

Then Brenn spoke adressing his words to both of us, "since we're all here, I believe it's a good opportunity to discuss this matter further. I know you must think you are irrelevant to the break through of this case; however, you are a very vital and critical part of it. You see, I don't think it's a coincidence that both victims happen to look similar in physical appearence. What we have about them so far is the height, weight, and hair color. Both 5'7", 145 lbs with ginger hair, but, unfortunately, the rest of them is yet unknown due to the cruel doings of this animal. We need you to tell us every physical aspect that you remember about Helena, every small detail that can help, and we'll try to get some information out of Lars." 

The redness on my face disappeared, and a bright shade of paleness took over. Talking about this subject killed the butterflies that I had felt just a second earlier.

-"If you want me to be a part of this, Kroos and Lars are gonna have to stay with us at the house. Weren't you the one saying that there's a killer on the loose, my mom is half catatonic and my father is never around? There you have it, now Lars and Kroos can protect me."

-"That's not their job," Brenn answered with fury burning in his blue eyes.

-"Who's job is it?" I shot back loudly enough to startle Kroos the innocent bystander.

Brenn hesitated before speaking, "It..It's mine. I'm the police officer in charge of this case."

At his words my heart sunk to the floor. His work forced him to care, not his feelings.

-"Oh, is that so? That's how it is. Fine," I retorted angrily at him not knowing what I was exactly angry about. 

-"What? What's that? What do you mean?" He said confused.

-"Nothing. Continue doing the job you were hired to do."

Suddenly Kroos joined our heated conversation, "okay guys, I don't know what's going on between you two."

Brenn interrupted him confusingly saying, "well neither do I!"

Kroos continued, "however, I think Emily's got a point. You can't go stay wih her; you're needed here to solve this case."

Brenn yelled unconsciously, "you have no say in this!"

I felt anger mix in my blood and shouted back, "who do you think you are to yell at him like that?"

Brenn, totally shocked at my response, felt obliged to make sense of it.

-"Who is he for you to defend him like that!"

-"He's the only normal and sane living thing left of my sister," I cried.

At this sight, Brenn regretted immediately what he had said and marched towards me when the door briskly flew open and another officer called Brenn out saying it was an emergency. Brenn was forced to leave.

-"I'm the only one who can understand how you're feeling right now. Don't blame him; he obviously didn't mean it. I think he was even jealous," Kroos noted sweetly.

-"I..I just," and my tears sprung from my eyes without any previous notice.

Without any hesitation, Kroos marched over towards me, wrapped his hands around my shoulder blades and allowed me to sob quietly into his warm chest. It felt kind of weird, but strangely comforting. 

On the spur of the moment, the door violently opened, and Brenn walked in. As soon as he laid his eyes on the scenery, his face was colored with a frightening mix of outrage and irritation. Kroos immediately escaped from our embrace. 

Without saying any words, Brenn approached me attentively, and with a voice full of authority, he said, "Lars is having a panic attack. He keeps repeating his sister's name. We need you to go calm him down"

-"Why me?" I answered with confusion

He suddenly snapped at me, "you're the only one that isn't carrying a gun and doesn't look scary, plus you look a lot like the victims."

Astounded, I followed him towards Lars' room without daring to open my mouth. The first thing I heard when I entered the room was Lars yelling "Isole," repeatedly with anxiety.

He jumped at the mere sight of me. He knew that I wasn't Isole's ghost, but the resemblance filled him with comfort.

He waited until I was crouched next to him then grabbed my hand and slowly whispered to me, "well..Isole..well."

I didn't exactly understand what he was aiming at. He then stood up, still holding my hand, and walked towards the exit.

When we were out of the room, Brenn gave us a perplexed look and asked, "where to?"

-"I don't know, just follow him."

He obeyed without hesitation.