Chapter 24

Lately, I've been feeling that this day would never come. When it finally did, I found it hard to believe. It was over. Brenn came out of the room all flushed and red. I never took him for the kind who blushed.

He looked down at me with teary eyes, "Didn't I promise you cupcake?"

The only reaction that seemed normal to me in this situation was to cup his tired face tenderly and place one long passionate kiss on his luscious lips. 

"Can we finally go home Brenn?" I asked looking up to him. "Take me home please," and I snuggled in his chest inhaling his exhilirating scent.

I missed the velvety feel of the bed. I missed the weight of the covers on my body. Everything was turning out just fine after all the horror I've had witnessed. That night Brenn and I celebrated with a hot session of sweet love making, and I ended up waking up to soft strokes on my cheeks. My eyes fluttered open only to find Brenn leaning on his side, a smile plastered on his face while staring at me. No words were needed; I just rolled over into him, and he sheltered me protectively. I couldn't ask for more, definetly wouldn't change anything.

"Cupcake I have surprise for you. They gave me the whole week off and I'm all yours."

"Damn right you are," I challenged back.

The sudden shrills of the doorbell cut us off. We both looked at each other annoyed by the interruptance.

On the other side of the door, two of Brenn's coworkers stood easylooking. For the first time ever, my heart didn't go on overdrive at a sight like this. The calmness they dispalyed reflected in me.

I looked over at Brenn quirking an eyebrow at him.

"All mine and no work did you say?" I inquired sarcastically.

He half laughed and then I left him to deal with whatever unfinished business they had.

Eavesdropping was not my intention. It's just that their voices were natrurally high, and I could without hardship hear them from the kitchen.

"This seems like your lucky week Brenn," Thomas, one of the guys I got to know around in the station, stated.

"It sure is," Brenn simply responded.

"We've found Laila."

My mind couldn't register what Tom had just said. Wait. What? Apparently those words had the same impact on My Brenn.

"What are you talking about? Laila's dead Thomas."

"The search party you had set out to look for her finally came back with results. She's been also looking for you."

I waited for Brenn to speak but never heard anything.

The walls began closing in on me, and I desperatly needed some air. A lump started forming in my throat, and I knew that I wouldn't be able to hold back the tears any longer. Slipping unnoticed, I dashed to the meadow field.

This place that once offered me immense comfort felt like hell itself. Could it be because of all the memories? Come to think of it, that's all they'll ever be. From the very beginning I knew this was to good to be true, and every possibility of ever finding happiness seemed impossible right about now.

Angry thoughts surged through me and resulted in a violent act from my behalf. I grabbed a handfull of wildflowers arbrutly and ran. I ran for as long as I needed to. There, I was standing in an empty graveyard towering over my sister's grave. All the emotions and feelings I have bottled inside burst out, and I cried my heart's content. Who knows for how long I sat solemnly there talking to Helena or hunched over her grave reminescing our old days.