Chapter 10

The next day, I woke up to the smell of fresh fried eggs and sausages. I went down to the kitchen with my robe hanging on my shoulders. To my utter surprise, my mother was leaning over the stove, carefully cooking breakfast while Lars sat at the table next to Kroos. I immediately put on my robe, embarrassed by the transparency that my sheer nightgown offered. How angry would Brenn have been if he knew that Kroos laid eyes on my body.

-"Em, you didn't tell me we had guests over," my mother exclaimed sounding awefully calmed and relaxed.

I looked at her indicisive about my answer, but it looks like she wasn't expecting one. I marched towards her and planted a kiss on her cheeck. She opened her mouth to speak, but shut it with hesitation, and then finally gathered enough courage to ask, "Where's your father, Em?"

-"He's working at the bakery. I've heard that the business is flourishing," I said hoping she would believe me. I couldn't tell her that the bakery was father's hideaway.

She reassured me with a tight smile and proceeded to serve us all breakfast.

Everytime she looked at Lars, I noticed a spark in her eyes. He brought their shine back, and Lars really seemed to be comfortable enough around her to smile every once in a while.

The next day, we were called back to the station. Apparently, their concept of resting does not exceed 24 hours.

When we arrived, a trainee chaperoned us to Brenn's office. I was about to tell him that I already knew my way there, but I didn't want rumors circulating. He was seated behind his large oak desk. We sat on the couch. 

-"I'm sorry, I know you are all very tired, but we can't delay this anymore. Since the two victims were severely disfigured, we couldn't indentify every physical trait. What we have so far is the height, weight and hair color. I know that's not enough to confirm our thesis, but we think the killer is targeting almost the same profile."

-"So what are we supposed to do, Kroos and I?"

-"Simply describe Helena."

-"And what about Isole?"

-"We have found a picture of Isole at the house they were living in. You are the confirmation of our thesis if your description of Helena fits Isole's profile."

After hours of explicit description, trying to remember every single detail, Kroos blurted out, "Just look at Emily and write down what you see; it's like we're basically describing her."

And with that, we were done for the day.

-"So I guess our assistance won't be needed down here anymore?" I asked 

-"Unfortunately, no, but I will still check up on you," answered Brenn with a barely noticeable wink.

A pale ghost with ginger hair, green eyes and a tall figure haunted me on my way back home. We talked about my sister so much I could vividly imagine her infront of me. I started imagining what her funeral would have been like. 

Suddenly, a very lucid dramatic scene flashed in my head: Helena was there, peacefully lying in a black opened casket. I approached the casket attentively, in a steady motion. She was there, and she was still her perfect intact self. So beautiful. I slowly raised my hand and started caressing her silky ginger hair. I blinked my eyes, and when they opened, I was starring at the ceiling. I felt a hand move down my hair, and when I tilted my head, I saw it. I was the one inside the casket, and it was Helena who was brushing my hair. 

My father's voice woke me up from my dream. I was at the house, sitting at the kitchen table. My father noticed the look of confusion on my face. I had no idea how I had come back here.

-"Emily, why are you still up?"

-"Where's everyone?" I asked

-"They're all asleep; it's past midnight Em."

-"Oh, I.." the words weren't able to find their way out of my mouth. I was still startled from the image I had seen earlier.

-"Your mother looks really well. She told me everything that has been going on for the past two days, and she seems very happy with that Lars boy. He has become her stability now."

-"Yes, she is very fond of him."

-"Everything is starting to get back to normal," and he implanted a kiss on my head and went to sleep.

Seconds later, I followed him. Maybe he was right