Chapter 16

As we were enjoying the food, a loud thud on the door interrupted our peace. 

"Mr. Levi calm down!" 

I didn't have time to analyze what was happening, but all I could see now was dad and Brenn locking fists together. 

Kroos interfered and helped Brenn pin my father on the floor. I wanted to scream at them to free him. I wanted to calm him down. I wanted to ease his pain as I understood it. I wanted so many things that I couldn't have right now.

"YOU KILLED HER! IF YOU WEREN'T TO BRING THAT STUPID BOY TO MY HOUSE NONE OF THIS WOULD HAVE HAPPENED!" He shouted at me.

I fell in a confused daze. To an extent, he was right. 

Peace was a distant thought that could never seize to become a concrete reality in this god damned house. My face was sticky by now from all the tears that had gushed from my eyes. Brenn pulled me by arm, ordered Kroos to take care of this and headed outside.

He held me tight by me shoulders and started shaking me.

"Don't you dare listen to him, ok? Don't you dare for a fraction of a second to think that what he was saying was the truth," he whisper yelled at me.

"You were right," I sobbed, "he is right!" 

"No! No!" he shouted as he held me tightly in his arms. Tears tainted his uniform.

"You should probably head back to the station; they're going to notice your absence," was all I could manage to say.

"I'm not leaving," he emphasized, "I've told you that I will take care of you. Plus, Em, I was waiting for the right moment to tell you this, but apparently right moments do not agree with me; I'm needed in Quedlingburg. I'm leaving tomorrow for a whole week."

"Oh," I said disappointed.

"I'm going to miss you, you know," Brenn added softly.

Kroos got out in the minute that followed.

"I've managed to calm him down," Kroos sighed.

Brenn approached Kroos. He was so close to his face, and I could notice the pain in his words, "Kroos, I'm leaving for a week. You'll have to take care Emily, but step out of line one time, and I swear I will..."

"Brenn!" I interrupted. 

Both of them looked at me, one was amused, the other was in pain. 

Brenn leaned in, kissed me on my forehead and left. I stood there unaware that Kroos was staring at me, and in a whisper he shook me out of my thoughts, "You're really fond of him, aren't you?"

I smiled shyly, how could he tell that just by looking at me? Was it that obvious? 

At that moment, I realised what I had just admitted to myself. I think this alien feeling to me is love.

I can't let Brenn leave. He has to know how I feel about him.

"Kroos I have to go. I have to tell him!" I said surprised by the steadiness of my voice. "Would you look after dad?"

I didn't wait for him to answer and fled the scene.

I was running frantically. What's wrong with me; did all this madness affect my sanity? And for a split second it was all clear to me. I loved this tender and sweet man. No matter how much my conscious torturted me, I couldn't help it.

I felt like I was cheating the memory of mother and sister, but this feeling for Brenn was way stronger, and with these thoughts I found myself standing infront of Brenn's office out of breath and reason.

My hand almost came into contact with the door, but it was already slightly opened, and from the crack I've managed to see Brenn's sinful face agitated. I could feel the tension that had setteled inside the office. 

I heard another voice contradicting Brenn. I wanted to leave, apparently this wasn't the right moment, but I couldn't. Their voices had already filled my head and I halted when I heard the other guy speak.

"Did you spend the night with her?" He questioned as if he was disgusted by the idea.

"Yes. I can't just leave her in that state," Brenn's soothing voice played to my ears.

"Get a grip over yourself! You're just taken by pity," and a thousand daggers went straight through my heart.

I was waiting for Brenn to defend himself, to deny what I was sure was the truth, and if wishes were true none of this would have had happened. Pregnant silence fell over them. Over me. Only could I hear my heart's loud thumps in my ears.

"That's not it," was all Brenn that said.

To some extent, I was relieved until the other voice I was starting to hate interrupted my comfort.

"Her sister was just murdered. Her mother commited suicide. We picked up her father just this morning drunk out of his mind. How long do you think it will take her to become just like her family? For that stress to seep deep into her and rob her from whatever sanity she has left?"

"That's why I'm here, to take care of here and keep her safe!" I flinched. I didn't expect to hear Brenn shout.

"That's it exactly," retorted the ghost, "she's nothing but your charity case. Don't mistake pity for love Brenn. She doesn't love you; you're just her safety net. Laila is the one that loved you."

Laila? Who is this? Why does she love Brenn?

I reasoned.  Brenn was a very lovable man, specially from the ladies, and pain tugged at my heart.