Chapter Eighteen

Okay, new story...very close to my life. Kind of. I'm humbled by the reviews and responses that this story has already received. The alerts, reviews and hits are truly humbling. Thank you so much for taking the time read the ramblings from the depths of my brain. Much love to all of you!

Also, none of this belongs to me. Never will. I just like to play with the characters created by Stephenie Meyer.

*Angst Warning*

Chapter Eighteen

BPOV

Edward came home an hour later and he joined us on the couch. Esme left once Edward arrived. We just relaxed for the rest of the day. For dinner we ate pizza and watched reruns of Glee. As we were getting ready for bed, the house phone rang. "Hello?" Edward asked. "Of course, Detective Volturi. Here she is."

Edward passed me the phone. "Hello?"

"Ms. Swan?" came Detective Volturi's voice. "I have some news about your case."

"Okay," I said, sitting down on the bed.

"When Ms. Stanley was put into the lockup, she was obliterated," he began. "Once her drunken haze wore off, she realized what had happened and became very agitated. She was making a lot of noise, bothering the other inmates."

"What happened?"

"We had to isolate her. She was sobbing, screaming and yelling for hours," he said sadly. "Then, nothing."

I gulped. "Please...don't say it," I squeaked.

"She became so agitated that she attempted suicide," Detective Volturi murmured. "She's currently admitted to the hospital but it's not looking good, Ms. Swan. She was without oxygen to her brain for some time."

"How?"

"She took her tie from her scrubs and looped it through the bars of the cell."

"Will she make it?" I whispered.

"Not without permanent damage. Her parents are on their way up from Decatur," Detective Volturi said matter-of-factly. "I'm not a doctor, but I don't think it's good, Ms. Swan."

Edward stared at me, his eyes pleading with mine to give him some information. "Thank you for letting me know, Detective Volturi," I forced out.

"I'm sorry, Ms. Swan. Have a good evening," he answered.

I hung up the phone and looked at Edward. "What happened, Bella?"

"Um, Jessica attempted suicide," I cringed. "It's not good."

Edward paled and his gaze fell to the bed. Shit, he still loves her. Is it too late to get back into your apartment, Bella? "I'll let you be, Edward. If you want, I'll pack a bag and go to Alice's. I can stay on her couch..."

"What?" Edward asked, his voice filled with hurt. "Why would you leave?"

"Your reaction," I shrugged.

"Bella, the mother of my child just tried to kill herself. As much as I hate Jessica, I don't want Emma to feel the pain of losing a parent," Edward explained as he took my face into his hands. "No child should have to experience that. However, the animosity that Emma has toward her mother is not unfounded. Plus, she has you. I've said this before, but you've more of a mother to my baby girl than Jessica. You love my daughter like she was yours. My reaction was for Emma. I never want you to leave. Ever, Bella."