|Thirty|

Patrick

We end up in Philly for a potentially series winning game six. If we win, we win it all. If we lose it's back to Chicago for game seven and all the glory. And while I would love to win it all in home ice, these aren't the kinds of games to throw away in order to win the way you want to. It's the hardest trophy to win in all of sports for a reason. And that's what makes it so satisfying to win.

I end up convincing Kayleigh to come out to the game with my family. I even invite Marissa to come with to get her out of the city for a day and to get her mind off a few things. So they all drive over and meet me at the hotel. We go out to a lunch where I try to act calm cool and collected even though I'm the farthest thing from it.

So I sit at lunch as they all talk and I space out a little. I feel a pair of eyes on me and I see Kayleigh staring straight through me. Her face blank as she just watches me.

"Is there something on my face" I ask as I feel around for some leftover food.

"No" she smiles, "I was just thinking" she claims.

"About what" I wonder.

"A little bit of everything" she admits. "About how happy I am to be here with you."

"You are" I ask a little bit hopeful.

"I am. I know things haven't been easy, it's been a rough week for us. But if I realized anything it is that I am willing to do a lot to be with you. There isn't anything I wouldn't go through to still be able to call you mine" she claims.

I couldn't keep the smile off my face as I reach over and grab her knee. I feel her lean into me as I get my grip on her. "Thank you for not giving up on me" I say softly.

"What happened isn't enough for me to give up what we have. I know you well enough to see a bad moment in a good life. We're not perfect and I can't pretend like you are" she insists.

"You're perfect" I insist as she blushed.

"I'm not. And I never will be. But I can spend the rest of my life chasing perfection knowing I'll never get it. But at least I have something to chase" she admits.

"That is true. I get to chase perfection again tonight. And I have to admit I'm a little nervous. I won us our last cup in over time, how can I top that" I chuckle.

"I am sure you'll find a way. You always do" she smirks.

"I don't think I'm ready for this game tonight. No matter if we win or lose everything is going to change, and I just got used to life as it is now. I'm not ready for change" I defend.

"The question isn't whether or not change will come, because it will. The question is whether or not you're ready to change with it. The future is fluid, that much I know. And the best thing to do is look at what we have, not what we could have, if we make what we can we never have to worry about what could be. Because we would already have it" she explains.

"I'm still scared" I admit.

"Good, that means you're dreams are good enough" she promises.

We finish up our dinner and head back to the hotel for a little. I had to leave before anyone else so I go in to change. I start to leave before I hear someone calling my name. I see Marissa walking over and I stop to hear what she had to say.

"Hey Riss, what's up" I wonder.

"I just wanted to thank you for everything you've done. I really appreciate you thinking of me and inviting me out here today. Kayleigh told me how this was your idea and what you did to make sure both her and I would be okay" she starts.

"It's my pleasure, really. I know if I lost one of my sisters I would certiantly lose my mind. My family means everything to me too, so I get that what you're going through it hard" I admit.

"It is, I've never been this emotionally empty in my life. You know, I'm usually outgoing and fun and smiling but I can't bring myself to be like that anymore. It's not that easy. Luckily my best friend knows just what to say and what I need. Kayleigh has been the strongest thing in my life recently and I'm glad you're here for her while she's there for everyone else. She'll never show it but she's tired. I know you guys have been going through a rough time but she loves you more than anything. She might have stayed with me but she was wanting you. Thanks for being there for the both of us" she says.

"It's my pleasure" I promise. "And if we win tonight, then know it's for your brother."

"Thank you" she smiles.

After what had felt like the longest morning of my life I finally get into TD Garden. I change and do warmups before the puck drops. It's been a fun series and Boston is a good team. But only one of us was going to make history here and I was hoping it was us.

As time winds down in the game we were down by just one goal. We could get a goal and it was usually a question of when or who and not if. And with a extra attacker on the ice and less than a minute and a half left in the game we tie it with the extra attacker. I helped set it up and I was pretty pumped. I get back to the bench then just 17 seconds later the puck was in the net again. Bolland has scored to put us ahead and in the matter of seconds we went from game seven in Chicago to winning it all.

I swear this last minute was the longest of my life. But the buzzer finally sounds and we all flood into the ice. We jump up on Corey as we celebrate like a bunch of kids.

I win playoff mvp and Jonny starts passing off the trophy. After a while friends and family come down to the ice to join in the celebrations. I skate around looking for those one of a kind kind of eyes. Finally I see Kayleigh looking around for me too.

"Kay" I call out and her head shoots around. Her smile is big as ever when she realizes it was me.

I skate over to her and she launched herself into my arms. I give her a long kiss as I make sure I don't drop her.

"I'm so proud of you" she whispers in my ear.

"I couldn't have done it without you" I promise.