|Forty-Nine|

Patrick

With the season under way and Kayleigh hard at work we make sure we still have time for each other. We have some things planned like date nights and movie nights but some more things happen naturally. Sometimes she picks me up after morning skate and we go out for lunch or I come visit her at work and bring her flowers. That's a little bit harder because she never stays in her office whenever she's working, always out in the real world trying to see what more she can do. And with her school plans almost finalized she would be a little bit more free. Until then we find joy in the little moments we share that are small in time but takes up a big part of our heart.

Today I didn't have a game so we planned a nice date night. A cool boat ride through the city and a nice meal. Just the two of us together like it was meant to be.

"Are you almost ready" I yell into our room.

"Almost" she assures me.

I decide to go and sit on the bed going through my phone as she finishes up. She honestly doesn't take too long to get ready, she isn't big on makeup and when you look like that you don't really have to be. But she insists she feels better when she does a little something even though she's literally always beautiful.

Eventually she walks out of the bathroom and I stand up to get ready to leave. But I almost fall right back down when she comes in front of me.

She had on a pair of skinny jeans that fit just right and black long sleeve shirt that sits off the sides of her shoulders. Her long brown hair curled and flowing down her back like a waterfall. Her eyes sparkled with the light brown eye shadow that sat on her eye lids. She smilies as bright as the stars in the sky and it makes my heart skip a beat.

She was so stunning in every way possible. I get feelings I didn't even know I could feel, and especially not after all this time. I felt like the luckiest man in the world.

"Why are you looking at me like that" she asks, having not a clue how fast she was making my heart beat right now.

"I just don't think I've seen anything more beautiful than you" I admit.

She tries to hide her smile but loses pretty quickly. I grab her hands and pull her closer to me. I softly kiss her cheek as she cups mine.

"I love you so much little moon" I whisper in her ear.

"I love you most" she replies.

We head off into the city even though my mind was staying at home tangled up in bed with her. But we planned this nice date and I was looking forward to it. Through the grind and wear of hockey it's nice to have something to look forward to. Because as a player you're a pawn, you're paid to do things, you're paid to hang out with the other players and sign your life away. But when I'm with Kayleigh it's because I want to be with her and she wants to be with me. There's no alternative motive, just love.

As we take off into the water I realize just how lucky I am. There's few sports towns I would put over Chicago. And if we're talking city life and the sports themselves I don't think there's any better. Boston has some great sports teams but I wouldn't put the city itself above Chicago. And LA will always be top tier. But this city is something different, and the sports and history here is second to none. Every franchise is the original or founding franchises in their respective sports. Some of the greats hockey players and football players and basketball players played here. And I get to be a part of it. Hopefully, one day, my statue will be here alongside Michael Jordan as the embodiment of Chicago hockey.

The boat slows down a little and my eyes move from the city back to Kayleigh. She was always looking up at me with those Angel eyes that made you want to do anything to feel like this forever.

"When we get married when do you want it? Because a fall or winter one will be hard with hockey. But spring would be too depending on how far we make it in the playoffs" I word vomit, just trying to see what she thinks.

"You're thinking about our wedding and we're not even engaged" she giggles.

"Not physically" I insist as she just smiles.

"I think a summer wedding would be beautiful. Chicago has a lot of stunning outdoor venues with a view of the city. You sisters and my sister would be the bridesmaids and Marissa would be my maid of honor. She's going to be so emotional, I can see it now. And I'll have both of my dads walking me down the isle, no mom and no Connor. Just love in all different forms and shapes and sizes. The day won't be perfect, because there's no such thing. But everything could go wrong and I would still be happy because I just married you" she says softly.

I smile like a idiot as I slip my fingers in her hair. I pull her close until her lips meet mine. I swear to you nothing makes me feel as good as this girl did. Nothing really came close either.

"Am I supposed to be the one who proposes since I'm the one who asked you out" she teases as I laugh. She would take this beautiful moment and insert some sarcasm in there.

"Why don't you let me worry about that and you worry about saving the world" I promise her.

"I guess that would be a big thing to do" she smirks making me chuckle.

"I promise you Kayleigh, as long as the moon is in the sky I will always love you. Even when we can't see it, it'll always be there. Strong and bright and forever" I promise.

"That's big talk from a hockey boy" she accuses as I shake my head.

"But I'm you're hockey boy" I insist.

"Damn right" she smiles.