|Fifty|

Kayleigh

As October marches on and school was well under way my plans to start giving aid to the schools were put into play. Now we didn't have the money quite yet because we have to get funding from different places and we're still waiting for a few things to be put into place. But the Samuel James Inicitave was underway thanks to some donations we've already got and I couldn't be more excited.

A big part of this being able to get off the ground was the Blackhawks organization. They lended a hand with great enthusiasm trying to do what they can to help out. And as a part of the inicitave they bought all new PE supplies for the kids. And they send Patrick, Duncan and Jonathan out to a school to break in their new sticks and tennis balls.

We still had to get the gym remodeled but we had to wait until the kids were out of school to install the air conditioning and new classrooms and remodel the gym. That's not really something we can do with kids walking around the school without them being totally distracted. So while that was in the works we were going to play our hearts out with what we have.

"Is it weird that I'm just as excited for this as I am for games" Jonathan asks. He was hoping to start up his own charity program to work with kids in his own way. But his charity was more centered around healthy eating than community service. But if he needs the help and I can give him a hand I will happily do so.

"Not at all. These kids are our future. Many of them want to grow up to be like you guys, and now you get a chance to inspire the next Patrick Kane or Jonathan Toews or Duncan Keith" I say.

"Good, because I'm getting old" Duncan teases and I laugh.

"I'm pretty sure Colton is coming for your name as is" I tease.

"I think so too. Granted he has a little bit more training than these kids will get" he chuckles.

"I'd say" I shake my head. That kid loves the ice, almost as much as his old man.

We get to the gym where all the kids were sitting there waiting. The principle comes over and pulls us to the front of the crowd. Jonathan gives high fives on his way up and I just roll my eyes. For a man who loves kids so much he sure is against having kids of his own.

The principle introduced the guys who gets a big round of applause. I think they probably know a little bit more about the Blackhawks now than the first time Patrick was here. The Hawks had sent them some notebooks and pencils for the kids already so they at least have a idea about why them being here is a honor. Some of them even wore Blackhawks shirts knowing that they were coming today.

Once the kids settle down they break up into groups. They start to play some floor hockey and I loved watching Patrick play with them. He might not say it with his words like Jonathan does, but he loves playing with the kids. We've talked about him starting something up to teach kids hockey, especially in Chicago. He doesn't think he can teach but my eyes are seeing differently right now.

"Here" he says as he hands me a stick. I look at him weird as I slowly take it.

"What am I supposed to do with this" I ask.

"Come play with us" he claims.

"You want me to play floor hockey" I laugh as I point to my heels. I was at work after all.

"Take em off! We got a game to win" he insists.

I would try to argue with him but lord knows when he's competitive like this there's no convincing him. So I slide off my heels and my jacket before picking up the child sized stick. Patrick passes the ball to me and we start to play.

In a surprising turn of events, I had a lot of fun. I haven't been able to be a kid since before I was a kid. Patrick had that childlike wonder to him all the time so this is how he often times saw life. He was still connected to his younger self, something I have always been mighty jealous of. He could put himself in these kids shoes and have fun and it wasn't that easy for me. I never had the ability to let innocence take over. I always needed to know everything, be good at everything or else I feel like I failed.

And I'll never be able to be a kid again, not even think like one. But being an adult and playing like a kid is just as fun.

Eventually everyone breaks into smaller groups. Patrick works stick handling and Jonny does face offs while Duncan works on poke checks. I talk with the principle and take a bunch of pictures. I know the Blackhawks social media always loved having these and they were doing really good with the kids. Teaching them new things and helping out as much as they can.

"Thank you so much for doing this" the principle starts. "I've been asking for help for so long. I know that our education system is so broken that it will never be fixed. There's only so much we can do. But thanks to you we have hope. Maybe we can get more kids to come to school and get a education. To plan a future and keep the kids off the streets" she explains.

"It's truly been a honor. I know this is just the beginning, but the kids look like they're having fun and they're learning. I think it's past time these kids have a level playing ground when it came to school. I had the best education growing up and I never learned a damn thing outside of a textbook. Here we have a chance to show these kids life, not just an education. We can get them a good education and a good life too" I say.

"That's all I ever wanted for them" she smiles.

The day comes to a end and the kids get back to classes. I wish there was more we could do right now, but all we can do is wait.

So I grab my boyfriend who was trying to got to class with some of the kids. I promise him some ice cream if he leaves without a fight so I take him to portillos for a cake shake.

"I had a lot of fun today" he claims and I smile.

"Sometimes it's just nice to do a good thing, even for no good reason" I insist.

"Is this how you feel all the time" he asks.

"Absolutely not. You should listen to the phone calls I make in order to make things like this happen" I mumble.

"I'm sure you can hold your own" he smirks.

"Damn right I do" I laugh.