T H I R T Y N I N E

This is not my photo. I'm not sure who it belongs to.

"Mom," Jeong chokes out, his voice dejected. "Please don't die."

She wipes the tears from his pale skin and kisses his forehead. "It's okay. I'll finally be happy, baby. Don't you want me to be happy?"

He nods. "B-But I don't want you to leave. You can't leave me, mom. Please don't leave me."

She places her warm hand atop her son's and offers him a small, false smile, her pearly teeth hidden behind her trembling lips. "You'll be okay, baby." She reaches in the table next to her bed and picks up the small piece of paper. She hands it to her son. "I'll be okay, baby," she whispers.

In her grasp is the small bottle of sleeping pills with her son's name written on the front. Jeong falls to his knees in front of his mom's limp body. Her hands are clammy and her pulse is weak. Her breathing is shallow. His mother's led out on a stretcher, while Sung holds his crying children back.

Sobs rack against Jeong's chest, his screams bounce off the cream colored walls of the waiting room. Inside the hospital room, his mother's corpse lies. Her heartbeat has ceased and her skin ice cold.

His father pulls him to his chest. Jeong grips his father's shirt desperately and cries loudly into the fabric. "Dad," he breathes out. "She's dead. She's fucking dead!"

Tears cloud Sung's dark eyes, but he tries to appear strong for his son and not the shattered glass he was. His grip on his son tightens, as loud sobs tear through him. His lips tremble. "I know, Jeong," he whispers. He allows his facade to fall and the tears he held back to stain his pale skin.

His parents cradle Jaehyung against them. They whisper consoling words in an attempt to comfort their grieving grandson.

"Dad, it's my fault," Jeong says.

"No, it's not your fault. You tried to help her. We all did. But she wouldn't listen. I'm sorry she's gone."

Jeong pounds his crimson coated fists into the concrete repeatedly. "Fuck, it's my damn fault. I'm sorry, Ginger."

"Jeong, it's not your fault. Stop blaming yourself," Jaehyung says quietly.

"It's my fucking fault!" The words slip through his swollen lips in a piercing scream. "If I didn't leave him-"

"Jeong!" Jaehyung grips his brother by the shoulders. "He would've gotten to them another way! You can't blame yourself for everything! Everything is not your fault!"

"What if he doesn't make it?" Tears stream down his cheeks and glisten on his pearl skin. "Jaehyung, if he dies, I couldn't fucking live with myself. I love him more than anything. If he dies, I'll-"

"Stop," he chokes out. "Don't think like that, Jeong. Journey's strong, okay. I'm sure he'll be okay and if he isn't.. then I'll be here for you unconditionally. I won't let you go through this alone."

"What happened? What happened to our son? Is he gonna be okay?"

As soon as Jeong walks back into the hospital, he's bombarded with a series of questions from Allison. "Journey-"

Abruptly, he's shoved against the wall by Winston. Jeong isn't phased at all by his actions. In fact, he doesn't even blink. He stands there, emotionless, and awaits the hit. Because he knew he deserved it.

"Lay a hand on my son and I'll make sure you're lying next to Journey," Sung spats. Fury dances within his dark eyes when he sees Winston's fists. Winston releases his hold on Jeong and wipes his hands on his jeans. He backs away from him.

"If he dies, I'm holding you responsible," Winston clips.

Believe me, I will, too, he whispers inside his head.

"No, you fucking won't," Jaehyung grits out. "Jeong wasn't the one who took the pain pills. That's on your son. So if you want to place the blame on someone, blame him because I won't have Jeong feel obligated to carry another death on his shoulders. He went through hell and back with our mom's. Jeong loves your son more than anyone and he doesn't need you to burden him more than he already burdens himself."

Jeong leans his head against the cold surface of the tiled wall. His knees are pulled up to his chest and he sobs into his arms. Droplets of blood stain the floor beneath him, courtesy of the salty liquid painting his hands.

A man in a white coat walks out of Journey's room. Jeong glances up to meet his dark eyes. Everyone follows suit. Allison desperately tries to wipe her tear stained cheeks, but to no avail. The doctor smiles softly. "He's recovering."

Jeong practically sprints inside Journey's room. In his embrace he pulls him. He encases him in the scent of spearmint and cologne. "Ginger, you're awake," he chokes out. "Don't ever do that again, love. Please don't ever do that again."

Journey offers him a faint laugh and a ghost of a smile tugs at his pink lips. A glimmer of excitement twinkles in his orbs of baby blue. "Hey Jeong. Yeah, I'm awake."

Jeong leaves peppery kisses on his jawline. "I love you, Ginger, okay? I love you so damn much." He holds his ruddy face in his hands and kisses his lips softly.

Journey laughs. "I know you do. I love you, too, Jeong." Jeong allows his head to collapse onto Journey's lap. Gently, Journey plays with his black strands.

"Please don't leave me, Journey," he says his name breathlessly.

Journey rakes his hands through Jeong's hair. "I won't leave you."

I'm so fucking sorry, y'all. I'm sorry that I shattered your heart.

Believe me, I had tears in my eyes writing this. It was so emotional and utterly heartbreaking. Jeong loves Journey so much. Okay, I'll try my absolute best to go back to some lighthearted scenes for all of our sakes. Anyway, I love y'all and I'll see you next chapter.