𝘵𝘦𝘯

TEN
"TRAGIC LOVE LIFE"

-

"You like him, dont you?"

Isabelle had somehow been roped into joining the babysitters club, and found herself sitting on the floor of Claudia Kishi's bedroom. Although she wasn't a proper member of the club, Kristy had made a rule saying she must attend one meeting a week, and she would be the emergency sitter if parents were out too late (though, that one was Richard Spier's request)

Isabelle looked at Stacey, confused, "I like who?"

The girls looked at each other before looking back to Isabelle, "don't play dumb, the only boy you have interacted with all year is Sam" Kristy said, trying to hold back a laugh.

Isabelle rolled her eyes, "may I remind you that Sam is my best friend?"

"Oh yeah, I forgot about how you hang out with Sam more than your own family" Kristy said sarcastically.

"Alright, so once you're all done laughing about my tragic love life, can someone please explain how this is going to work for me?"

"So basically, if none of us can babysit or if there's a job where someone has to stay late, you're the person we will come to"

Isabelle nodded, "I figured that one out, but what if I'm not at the meeting where you give a job to me?"

Stacey laughed, "isn't that what a phone is for?"

Isabelle smiled, "you've got a point"

"So... what do you do at the meetings?"

Claudia shrugged, "sit around, talk, eat candy and just wait for the phone to ring" she said, gesturing to an ancient landline that had been placed on the table, next to a directors seat, which Kristy seemed to have claimed for herself as the president of the club.

After a few minutes, the phone rang.

Stacey answered it, talking for a minute before passing the phone to Mary Anne, who had been unusually quiet while everyone else was talking.

"She wants to speak to you" Stacey said, and Mary Anne took the phone, putting it to her ear slowly as if she didn't know what to do with it.

"Hello?"

She paused.

"I don't..."

she paused again, cut off by the person on the other line.

"No! I mean... yes, I'm free."

The other girls looked at each other, confused.

Mary Anne saw everyone's faces, and added on, "I think."

Kristy glared at her, mouthing, what are you doing?

"The thing is, I belong to a club of babysitters. So, Id have to check if any of them..." she was cut off again.

Mary Anne sighed again, "what's your address?" she asked, and listened for a moment. "Thank you" she hung up, turning to see the three girls now all sitting on the bed, while Isabelle stayed sitting on the ground, confused as to why it was such a big deal.

"I shouldn't have done that."

"Clients aren't supposed to pick their sitters, Mary Anne. That goes against the clubs entire mission statement."

Mary Anne looked down, "I'm sorry."

"You don't have to apologise, just try to be more assertive" Claudia said, sighing as she said it, "stand up for yourself."

"Sorry..."

"You don't have to keep saying you're sorry!"

"Sorry"

"Mary Anne!"

"You have to learn to advocate better for yourself"

"Don't be such a pushover"

"Do you just want people to ignore you your whole life?"

"Guys" Isabelle said, getting ignored by the rest of them, who watched as Mary Anne started to cry.

"Just leave me alone!" Mary Anne said, getting up and running out of the room.

Isabelle stood up, "That was not cool guys. You went too far"

She walked out of the room behind Mary Anne and grabbed her bag from by the door.

She turned to Mary Anne, "You should ignore them. They mean well, but they should have probably worded it better, thought about what they said.

Mary Anne nodded, "I know. It just happens, god, I'm such a crybaby"

"Who cares that you are? You can't stop it" Isabelle shrugged.

Mary Anne smiled a little, wiping her eyes under her glasses, "thank you for being so nice to me"

Isabelle smiled, "of course, I'll see you next week, I suppose"

Mary Anne started to walk up to the house, "bye"

AUTHOR'S NOTE
okk so i put isabelle into the club in the end even though i told myself i wouldn't, i just didn't have any other ideas.

//