Chapter Twelve

"Jade?"

I look up from the glass of wine I've been sipping on and my mouth falls open as my eyes trail up a tall body and lands on a face. This man is gorgeous. He has dark brown skin that is smooth of any imperfections. He has a thin mustache and hair on his chin. It's not quite a beard or goatee but it looks damn good on him. Diamond studs sparkle in his ears. He's wearing a tailored blue suit, white top, and a pale pink tie. I recover myself long enough to answer.

"Yes."

"I hope I'm not late." He pulled out the other seat and sat down across from me.

"No, you're right on time."

"Good. I wanted to make a good impression, but I got held up at the office." He undid the button on his jacket and flashed me a smile.

I never thought I would date another lawyer but Darius McCall was doing something to me. Something I had only felt when around Sean and Drew. Even though I didn't want to admit that to anyone, including myself.

"I wouldn't know what that was like," I laugh.

"That's right. Meg said you're in corporate law."

"Yeah. I always thought I would go into criminal law, and have those late nights that you're talking about, but life had other plans for me." I'm not sure of the dating etiquette here. Should I tell him that I'm a mom or should I wait to see where things go with us?

"Meg told me that you're a single mom."

Dammit. "What else did Meg tell you?"

"That you have two girls who are, and I quote, "are the cutest things on this planet"."

"They are pretty cute." I agree.

"Well, I hope that I get the chance to meet them someday."

He wasn't turned off by my being a single mother. That was a plus in his column. And it didn't hurt that he was really good looking.

~~~~~

Dinner was pleasant. I didn't think pleasant was enough to start a relationship. I racked my brain for something to explain what I was feeling as Darius and I walked out of the restaurant and waited for the valet to bring our cars. Darius was a sweet guy and the more we talked the more comfortable I felt with him. But it wasn't the type of comfort that would make me want to drop my pants for him. He was hot so I should have felt something, but there was nothing. The initial feeling I had when meeting him was similar to how I felt when I was around Sean and Drew. Relaxed. It just didn't reach the level it did when I was with the two of them. He felt like a friend. Someone I could talk to and hang out with, but I had no desire to kiss him or hold hands or anything. And I was dreading parting ways because I didn't know if he would want to kiss me.

My car arrived first and I approached it with Darius at my side. We stood by my open door and stared at each other. Nerves bubbled inside of me and not out of excitement but out of fear.

"Jade, I had a really good time tonight."

"Me too," I said. I did have a good time. The conversation flowed and except for this very moment there were no awkward silences. Darius was easy to talk to. He was approachable and not cocky. He didn't act as if he expected anything from me other than nice conversation.

"If you ever want to hang out, you have my number. Have a good night Jade."

Darius stepped back to allow me to climb into my car. I said goodnight as I shut the door and put the car into drive. The drive home allowed me to think. From the moment I had been in Sean and Drew's presence I had felt the intense attraction. Something I had never felt before. Not even with my one boyfriend. Sean and Drew did something to me. I longed to be with them and the more time we spent together because of our daughters, those feelings were developing into more than sexual attraction.

My first look at Darius and I was attracted. I was attracted to his looks. He could have easily grazed the cover of any magazine. And he would look good on anyone's arm. Not that that was what was important, it was just that he was very good looking. Meg had really good taste so I wasn't surprised. It wasn't until we sat down and started talking did I realize that I was a shallow person because the only tingly feelings I got was based solely on his looks. He had a great personality. He was kind and funny and it was clear that he cared about people. I liked him, but I couldn't see myself being in a romantic relationship with him. Friends? Yes. Lovers? No.

I got home and found Meg waiting up for me.

"So, how'd it go?"

"It was nice." I kicked off my shoes and peeked in on the girls. They were sound asleep.

"Nice? That's it?"

I plopped myself down on the couch beside her.

"Yeah. Darius is a nice guy."

"What happened?" Meg asked.

"Nothing," I laughed. "Dinner was nice. I liked him."

"But?"

"But nothing. I don't know what you want me to say."

"I want you to be honest with me and more importantly with yourself."

"I am being honest. I liked him. I just don't think we would be good in a relationship, but I wouldn't mind hanging out with him again."

Meg sat in silence for a minute before speaking.

"Being friends is good. I personally think you, Sean and Drew have something special and should see where things go, but I also know that Darius is a good guy and a lot of love stories started out as friends first, so who knows."

I thought about what she said for a minute. Life would be easy if Darius and I could be together but I wasn't interested in trying to force the issue.

"I'm tired. Let's go to bed."

I stood up from the couch and headed into my room. Meg followed, turning off the lights behind her. We changed, Meg borrowed something to sleep in and we climbed into bed for the night.