Chapter Seventeen

Jade

I opened the door for Sean. It was the night of our solo date. After how things had gone with Drew, I had no expectations for this date. I knew I was to dress casual and that we would be going out for a day date. Sean stood on the opposite side of the door dressed in light jeans, a light-dark blue long-sleeved shirt, and a pair of white low top sneakers. He removed the dark sunglasses he wore and his eyes roamed over me and a smirk formed on his lips. It was because, without knowing we had dressed alike. I had on a pair of light blue jeans and dark sweater and my white sneakers. My hair was pulled back in a ponytail and a black fanny pack sat around my waist.

"This is quite a coincidence," I said.

"Maybe it's fate."

"Laying it on a little thick, don't ya think?"

Sean shrugged nonchalantly.

"Any plans on telling me what we're doing?"

"You're just going to have to come with me to find out."

I playfully rolled my eyes at him and followed him out of the condo.

Sean parked his car at the curb and climbed out. He ran around and took my hand as I opened my door and helped me climb out. I wanted to comment something about me being able to get out of a car on my own, but kept my mouth shut. He opened the back door and removed a picnic basket I hadn't noticed was in the back seat.

"Are we having a picnic?"

Sean didn't say anything as he took out the blanket from the back and shut the door. He took my hand again and pulled me along to a park. I took the time to look around and noticed that the park was filling up with people. Everyone was either sitting on blankets or setting them up. My eyes registered the large projection screen positioned in the middle on the park.

"What is this?"

"It's our date."

Sean settles on a spot and releases my hand so that he can lay out the blanket. When he's done he hold his hand out.

"Sit."

I can't help but laugh as I sit down on the blanket and wait for Sean to join me. He opens the picnic basket and removes the wrapped sandwiches inside and two water bottles that were clearly not filled with water.

"What's in these?" I ask as I pick up one of the bottles.

"Wine. I thought this would be an easier clean up instead of bringing the bottle and glasses. Plus, this will guarantee that we don't over indulge. We can keep our heads clear."

I look up at Sean and watch him as he sets up our picnic. This is a side of him I wasn't ready for. He's sweet and the date is unexpected. It's romantic and seems so unlike him. It seems more like...me. Like, he really took the time to think about what I would like.

"It's about to start."

I turn to see the projector start up and the opening credits to the movie start.

"The Wedding Date?" I turn to look at Sean. "This is my favorite movie."

"I know." Sean handed me one of the sandwiches.

"Thank you."

"You're welcome."

We locked eyes and I wasn't prepared for the feeling that flooded through me. The sexual attraction I could handle. I dealt with that every time I was around Sean and Drew. This other feeling however? This feeling wasn't a flutter below the belt. This feeling settled in my chest. It made my heart race. It felt vaguely like the feeling I had when I first laid my eyes on my girls after giving birth.

I turned back to the screen as the movie started. Sean bought popcorn from a man walking around and moved on the blanket to sit beside me. We watch the movie in comfortable silence.

"Can I admit that this is my first time seeing this movie?" Sean asks once the ending credits roll.

"Oh my God. Are you serious?"

"Yeah. I'm not really a romantic movie guy."

"Let me guess. Action movies?"

"Why do you make it sound like a bad thing?"

"It's not. I like action movies."

"But your favorite movie is some cheesy film about a woman who hires an escort to be her date and then falls in love."

"First, it's not cheesy," I say in mock offense. "Second, you act like it's a far fetched idea. Need I remind you that my best friend and your employee is an escort," I say lowering my voice. "She could easily fall in love with a client."

"Okay, I'll give you the cheesiness. It wasn't that cheesy, but Meg? Come on. Her falling in love with one of her clients is very unlikely."

"Okay. You might be right."

Sean and I share a laugh. I look around and see everyone packing up. Sean must have noticed too.

"We should probably get out of here."

"Sure."

I help Sean clean up our mess. We walk over to one of the trash cans scattered around the park and toss everything. Sean carries the blanket and basket in one hand and reaches for my hand with the other. It's so normal. Like we're a real couple. I can't lie to myself and say that I don't like it. In fact, I think I'm liking it too much.

~~~~~

I let myself into the condo and take off my fanny pack, dropping it on the side table. I walk further into my place and turn to find Sean standing just inside the door.

"I had a good time today," he said.

"Me too."

"I'll see you around." Sean turned and my mouth fell open.

That's it?

"That's it?" I said out loud.

Sean turned to look at me.

"I'll see you around? That's it?"

"Was there supposed to be something more?"

I don't know what had come over me. Only Drew and Sean has the power to make me act so bold.

"You know Drew and I slept together."

"I know."

"You don't want your turn with me?" The words came out more bitterly than I intended.

"What I want to do is throw you down on the floor and fuck you to an inch of your life. But I'm not going to."

I opened my mouth to say something but he didn't let me.

"You're not a prize. I'm not going to sleep with you because Drew did." Sean took a step closer until he was standing in front of me. "Did Drew force himself on you?"

"Of course not," I say shocked.

"Did you sleep with him because of me?"

"No. It just happened."

"I know and you should know that when we sleep together, it's gonna just happen. Not because you think I have to have my turn, but because the two of us want it so bad that we can't stop ourselves."

Sean leans forward and place a soft kiss to my lips. He pulls away before the kiss can turn passionate.

"I want you, but not like this. I'll see you around."

Sean turns and walks out of my condo, closing the door behind him and I let out the breath I didn't realize that I was holding.

That moment was hotter than if he had thrown me down, though I still wanted him to do that. That simple gesture of not wanting to treat me like a toy for Drew and him to pass back and forth made my heart open to the possibility. Of what? I wasn't sure. I just knew I had that feeling back in my chest.