《23》

"merry christmas, baby." i open my eyes and smile up at my husband, "merry christmas." "my parents, kaylan, stew, gen, nora, and tyler are in the living room, sam and rachel took the kids to nina's with the family, and everyone will be back here around 4 for christmas dinner. are you sure you don't want to tell our immediate family first, then tell our friends and their families later?" he asks. "i know you're ready to tell everyone, and i am too, but i want to tell everyone together. i mean, i could deal without everyone else's families being here, but sam's family is just as much my family as my own mother and siblings." "i know, it's ok." he nods, kissing my forehead. "thank you." i let out a sigh of relief, giving him a small smile. "are you ready to go join our families?" "yes, i can't wait to give kay and stew their presents. every year i get nora and tyler their ideal present and i'm excited to see if i know your brother and sister as well as i think." "kaylan is impossible to buy a present for so don't get upset if it's not the perfect gift." he replies. "and stew?" "i gave him weed and lean for christmas last year. that kid is easy." "because he's just like you." i laugh. "what'd you get him, anyway?" "you'll find out in a minute, come on." i usher him out of our room and into the living room, sitting on the plush carpet in front of our christmas tree. "merry christmas, everyone." i smile. "merry christmas." they return my smile. "okay, let's get to it." nate picks up a present from under the tree and hands it to me, "merry christmas, baby." i kiss his cheek and grab the present, setting it in my lap. "mom, dad." he gives them their presents from him, continuing until everyone had a gift from him. everyone begins opening their presents, but nate stops me from opening mine. "hang on, baby. give me two seconds." he pulls out his phone and holds it up, recording me, "okay, go ahead." i let out a small laugh and shake my head, ripping the wrapping paper open. i pull the paper away from the tiny box and gasp as i open it to reveal a beautiful diamond ring, "babe, it's gorgeous. but what is it for? i already have a wedding ring." "i told you when i proposed i was going to get you the ring i felt you deserved when we had the money. i finally found the one ring that really deserves to be on the love of my life's finger." "awe. come here." i grab his shoulder and pull him into a kiss. "do you want to put it on me?" i ask, holding the box out to him. "wait, wait, wait." kaylan urges as her, kami, my mom, and nora all pull out their phones. "y'all better hurry because i'm not waiting." nate tells them as he takes my hand in his and removes my wedding ring. he pulls the new ring from the velvet box and slides it onto my finger before kissing my hand, "i love you, baby." "i love you more." "mia, honey, i'm so happy that my bad track record with relationships didn't effect you. i could not have asked for a better son-in-law." "and we couldn't have asked for a better daughter-in-law. they're going to make wonderful parents." kami beams. "who? they're not going to be parents." tyler quickly replies, becoming nervous at the mention of us having a baby. "tyler!" nora gasps. "how could you say that? you know they've been struggling to conceive." my mom scolds, shaking her head in disappointment. "i meant, not soon. i didn't mean that to sound harsh." "it's ok, guys." i tell my mom and nora before looking at my brother, "i know what you meant, ty."

the festivities continued as planned and soon, sam was home with all of the children, rachel, and his parents in tow. "we're back!" sam announces as he places sammy and addie on the ground, the two of them making their way over to me and nate. "did you guys have fun at nina's?" i ask sammy, who nods excitedly. "nina and daddy let him hold landon." rachel informs as she makes her way over and hugs my mom. "yeah!" sammy exclaims with a huge smile, jumping in my lap. "did you get to hold the baby?" i ask addie who shakes her head with a frown, crossing her arms over her chest. "addie's too young to hold landon. when stassie and i tried to explain that to her, she threw the biggest tantrum and cried her little heart out." sam explains. "stassie was there?" "no, she facetimed to talk to addie while we were there." "everyone's here, should we?" nate asks quietly as everyone gets settled on couches, chairs, and the floor in front of the tree. "something's missing." i insist, looking around our living room only to realize annie, emily, and benny were not here. "babe, look around and tell me who's missing." he glances around before looking at sam. "we have to wait for them." i tell him. "wilk!" he suddenly shouts, catching sam's attention. "get your brother and sisters here asap, remember we got that thing we have to do before everyone leaves for the night." "huh?" sam asks in confusion. "you know, that important thing." nate adds, sam still confused. after a moment or two passes, a look of realization dawns on his face, "ohhh. i gotcha." he nods, taking out his phone. "what is going on?" "what are you kids up to?" mrs. wilkinson questions suspiciously. "nothing." we all shrug. "something is going on here." kaylan states matter-of-factly. "i need a glass of wine." my mom lets out as she makes her way to the kitchen, "lori, would you like a glass?" "please and thank you." she smiles in response. after a few minutes, the front door opens and in come sam's siblings. "we're here!" benny announces loudly. "what's the emergency? why'd we have to hurry over here?" emily asks as she sits beside her mom, followed by annie and benny joining everyone in the living room. "all i wanted was one burger." annie frowns. "mom, get in here!" i shout. "i'm coming, i'm coming." she enters the living room with two tall glasses of wine for her and mrs. wilk. "so we were going to share the news last night, but it was a busy night so we figured christmas night was just as good." nate and i smile at each other before i take my jacket off, revealing a shirt with pink and blue footprints that reads, 'coming soon'. "oh my god you're pregnant?!" i smile and nod excitedly, "finally!" "did you hear that??" my mom asks kami and monte excitedly. "we're going to be grandparents!" kami cries out happily.