Chapter 17 : The Tunnel

Nico's POV
———————————————————
Nico led them through the different sections of the Underworld. In front of the castle was Persephone's Garden. The new one, I mean. It had a veranda overlooking the Fields of Asphodel.

"It looks weird but, like a good weird." Summer whispered under his breath as he his brain tried to process the strange but beautiful place they were at.

It was filled with different kinds of Persephone's favorite flowers so it would keep her company during her time in the Underworld and serve as a constant reminder of the world above ground.

The garden looked strange with no sunlight shining over the plants. The air was cool and damp. A stream weaved through the middle of the garden. Luminous plants that grow without sunlight decorated the inside of the garden and subterranean trees glow in the dark giving an Avatar-like vibe.

He noticed small shrubs of poisonous flowers and multicolored mushrooms. You wouldn't miss the orchard of pomegranate trees in the center filling the air with a sweet tart smell.

Spring looked attracted to the pomegranate trees and his eyes held the intention of desire. A desire to take a bite of the sweet smelling fruit but Nico pulled him away and shook him from his trance.

"Snap out of it. If you eat one, you'll stay here forever." Nico mumbled in Springs's ear while holding his arm.

"Now I know why you're so rich." Summer said as he held a piece of gold as big as his fist. Different kinds of gems littered along the path. They stuck out of the blue as if trying to compensate for the lack of colorful flowers.

"Guys, I think I found it." Autumn was already ahead by a few steps. His adventurous traits was showing.

A dark wooden door was hidden behind the vines and plants that grew on the center pomegranate tree. It was bigger than the rest.

"Well, we found it. The question is, how do we open it?" Summer asked the million dollar question.

"I think we have to align something. It's asking for a password." Autumn moved the vines out of the way. A clock-like machine was attached to where the handle of door was supposed to be.

Nico peered closely and examines it carefully. It looked old. Really old. It was a bit dusty from not being used but aside from that, the engravings were clear.

"Any ideas?" Spring glanced at Nico to see if the demigod had any clue. Nico's eyebrows furrowed with confusion. His lips pressed into a thin line.

Twelve lines were drawn on the edges of the circle with a stick that turns in the middle. He started to think of any kind of hint that might give him an idea. The story of Hades and Persephone must have a connection to the password.

Twelve lines...Does it have to do with their birthday or anniversary? I don't know what to think.

Twelve lines...There are twelve months in a year. Does it pertain to the months Persephone stays in the underworld?

"Move back." Nico warned them while kneeling down to get a better view.

He slowly aligned the stick to the sixth line around the edge. A few minutes had passed but nothing was still happening.

He sighed and was about to change it when he heard a lock click in place and old gears creaking as they turn.

"I did it!"

The door slowly opened, revealing a dark and dimly lit corridor. Nico looked around, trying to see if there were any traps. He had his hand around the hilt of his sword in case something would attack them.