Chapter 4

D A Z Z L E

Chapter Four

Cameron

I cried myself to sleep last night after finishing a pint of pistachio flavored ice cream from Sundae’s Best. Mrs. Yu assured me that she’ll handle Mr. Myers but that still didn’t sit comfortably inside me.

Imagine, it was my first day and a parent thought I kidnapped his daughter? I will never do such a thing!

I called my best friend, Leia to tell her about what happened. She said she will revolt if she heard that I am being poorly treated here.

I combed my hair with my fingers and washed my face. I need to calm down and get a hold of myself. Mrs. Yu said that Mr. Myers will surely be in her office first thing today.

-

I didn’t expect an apology from Mr. Myers. The truth is I expected him to scream at me and demand my termination from Mrs. Yu. Reporting me to the boards and will ask that I will be blacklisted.

But that didn’t happen. Mr. Myers apologized to me.

The whole week went fine aside from that incident. Nonetheless, I will be careful around this town. Ayaw ko namang pag usapan ako na hindi ako mabuting guro at hindi safe sa akin ang mga anak nila. That’s the last thing I want them to think about me.

Like I said, I didn’t expect an apology from Mr. Myers, so seeing him at my doorstep is quite a surprise. There was a knock while I was opening one of the boxes that was delivered days ago. I stood from the floor and opened the door only find Mr. Myers with his daughter, Umiko in his arms standing at my doorstep.

“Teashel Cam!”

“Hi.” Said Mr. Myers. Raising the box of bread in his hands. “Ah, we would like go give you a hand with your things. Right, Miko? I presumed na hindi ka pa tapos mag ayos dahil isang linggo ka sa klase.”

“Yes! Teacher, please let us help.” Miko said, her lips pouty, her big soulful eyes are hopeful. How could I say “no” to that?

“Okay.” Sagot ko. Opening the door wider for them.

“Yay!” Si Miko. Ibinaba ni Mr. Myers si Miko sa living room at iniabot niya sa akin box na galing sa bakery. We’re still standing by the doorway without saying anything. I didn’t know where to look so I moved my eyes to Umiko.

Super awkward.

“Let me do the heavy lifting.” He offered.

“No, you don’t have to do that.”

“I want to as part of my apology. I want you to know how sorry I am for last week.”

“Me too. I’m sorry, Mr. Myers.”

“Wyatt. Call me, Wyatt. I feel like a hundred years old when people calls me Mr. Myers.”

“Okay, Wyatt.” Sagot ko sa kanya at tipid na ngumiti. I gestured to him to the living room, and cowered because the boxes are all over the place.

Hindi man lamang ako nakapagligpit kahit kaunti. The house is a mess.

Umiko is already sitting on the couch. Waiting politely for my signal to go through my things.

Oh, the patience of this little girl.

“Teacher, you have many boxes.” Si Umiko at tinapik pa ang isa sa mga kahon.