Chapter 1

D A Z Z L E

Chapter One

Wyatt

I removed my BCD and placed it beside my tank and my other equipment. My team and I were done for the day for collecting data for a research we’re doing. Pumasok ako sa loob ng Bangka at dumeretso sa bag ko upang kuhanin ang cellphone ko at tingnan ang emails na work related at iba pang messages sa inbox. Pero bago ko i-unlock ang device ay napangiti na lamang ako dahil sa screen ay naroon ang picture ni Umiko, my three year old daughter. Her candid picture I took a few months ago where she’s grinning from ear to ear while playing with sand on the beach.

Nang buksan ko ang inbox ko ay may message roon mula sa parents ko isang oras na ang nakakalipas. Ayon sa message ay sinundo nila si Miko sa daycare, at sobrang dami raw tanong ng anak ko, at nalilito na raw sila kung papaano ito sasagutin.

I grinned.

My daughter is a very curious child. Maybe it’s the age or maybe it’s just her. She’ll ask you about everything so you have to be prepared once she bombarded you with questions. These days she is into fishes, siguro ay dahil na rin sa mga librong nasa bahay namin at dahil na rin sa trabaho ko. Madalas ay tungkol sa mga lamang dagat at anyong tubig ang mga sinasabi ko sa anak ko. Plus, the ocean is just in my backyard, and my job requires me to know a lot about sea creatures.

Thankfully, Umiko isn’t curious about her mother, because I still don’t know how to answer once she starts questioning me about her. I have to figure out soon how to explain to her why it is just the two of us.

-

I came home and my Mom is in the kitchen, while my daughter is playing with my Dad in the living room. Umiko squealed when she saw me.

“Daddy!” Mabilis na tumakbo si Miko papunta sa akin at lumuhod naman ako upang salubungin ang yakap niya para sa akin.

“Hello, my love. I missed you.” I said and peppered her with kisses. She giggled and threw her head back while laughing out loud. Her laughter is music to my ears.

Tumayo ako ang kinalong siya.

“Tickles, Daddy.” She told me.

“Did you miss daddy?” I asked.

“Yes.”

“Good. How’s your day? What did you do today?” I asked again. I left her still sleeping this morning. Sinamantala ko ang pagkakataon na bumibisita sa bahay ko ang mga magulang ko. I didn’t have to take her to daycare. Sa susunod na araw ay aalis din sila at maiiwan ulit kaming mag –ama, at habang nasa trabaho naman ako ay maiiwan ko si Umiko sa daycare nito.

That’s the downside of being a single parent. I have no choice but to leave Umiko to the hands of strangers. Though they’re not really strangers. People from this town have been sincere and nice to us. Treating us as if we are one of their own. I’ve been in this small town for almost four years. When my ex was pregnant with Umiko, I decided to move here because of the job I still have now. The pay is damn good kaya hindi ko pinalampas ang opportunity at inisip ko na lamang ang kapakanan ng anak ko, ang makapag provide ng lahat ng pangangailangan niya. My priority then and now, and forever is Umiko. It’s her above all else. My ex refused to move and have a small town life. Also, she refused to have us.